Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Just installed C5 brakes 60-0 Wahoo!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:14 AM

Re: Just installed C5 brakes 60-0 Wahoo!

Originally Posted by Skull Leader
I didn't notice a really huge difference.

yeah, you must have went from a brembo rotor and hawk pad to a cheapo pad and knockoff rotor to not see a difference. just for starters, 11' to 13' alone should net you a huge difference. try some new pads and new rotors and you'll be thinking differently.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:53 AM

I've been reallly interested in some C5/C6 brakes. What is all needed to bolt on to a LT1 car? I know I need the calipers,rotors, pads, brake lines, and the custom bracket; but can I reuse my stock spindle? Is that all I need? These 18" wheels make my stock LT1 brakes look absolutely ridiculous.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 68z28
I've been reallly interested in some C5/C6 brakes. What is all needed to bolt on to a LT1 car? I know I need the calipers,rotors, pads, brake lines, and the custom bracket; but can I reuse my stock spindle? Is that all I need? These 18" wheels make my stock LT1 brakes look absolutely ridiculous.
Yes you can reuse your stock spindle.

You are going to need a sawsall to cut the ears off the (forget the name) long short arm ???? Here is a link that shows the end result.

http://www.pf-flyer.com/services.html

I wish we had the pictures that show where to make the cuts on the stock pieces...

Make sure your bleeder is pointing UP (ask me how I know this!!). It took us 4 hours from start to road test. It took me about 2.5-3 hours the second go around on my friends Firehawk...

Its not a hard job...Just take your time.....thats the key....

I bedded the pads and seasoned the rotors too....For the money these are incrediable brakes....Can you imagine if you can do a 06 Z06 front brakes?!?!

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:53 PM

Thanks a lot Doug! Where did you get your brakes? Are the regular C5's the same as Z06's. I would think not, but I'm not positive. Did you also do the rears?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doug 97SS
I bedded the pads and seasoned the rotors too....For the money these are incrediable brakes....Can you imagine if you can do a 06 Z06 front brakes?!?!

Good luck!
C6 ZO6 brakes actually would bolt right up to a Bishop adapter bracket if you had 18 inch wheels to clear them. Only thing is, nobody has stress tested the bracket with the bigger brakes. Chances are real good that it would be just fine, I just dont know if anyone has done it.

Also, to the above question: C5 ZO6 brakes are the same as regular C5 brakes, save for the color of the caliper.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 PM

Here is a link for a parts list.

http://www.speedspecialty.com/prodim...bpartslist.doc

I rented a sawz all from home depot. If I owned one I would not want to put it through that much abuse. It was smokin hot when I got done. There are two ears to cut off on lt1's. I went through about ten six inch blades.

The only other hard part was getting the hub off. It was rusted on so I had to put the old bolts in and beat on them to break it loose. UMI's kit comes with new bolts anyway.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:58 PM

Sorry to be so ignorent, but what exactly are these parts? Do they come with most the hardware? If I have to buy seperate, how much do they cost?

Pad abutment bracket
Front caliper brake hose
Pad abutment guide pin
Guide pin boot
Banjo bolt
Banjo bolt copper washers
Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 97WS6Pilot
I rented a sawz all from home depot. If I owned one I would not want to put it through that much abuse. It was smokin hot when I got done. There are two ears to cut off on lt1's. I went through about ten six inch blades.
Why own a tool if you're not going to use it? I didnt buy my sawzall just for the small jobs. Mine got hot too but got through the job like a champ I went through one complete Milwaukee bi-metal blade, and about half used up another one, so not even two blades here. Next time you do cut something like that, keep the blade a little cooler with some WD40, or oil or something, and you wont go through 10 blades

Originally Posted by 68z28
Sorry to be so ignorent, but what exactly are these parts? Do they come with most the hardware? If I have to buy seperate, how much do they cost?

Pad abutment bracket
Front caliper brake hose
Pad abutment guide pin
Guide pin boot
Banjo bolt
Banjo bolt copper washers
The abutment bracket is bolted to the spindle, holds the brake pads, and the caliper bolts to it. The brake hose carries fluid from the hard line on the chassis to the caliper. Guide pins are what the caliper floats on, as it needs to move back and forth as the brakes are used. The banjo bolt is the bolt that connects the brake hose to the caliper. It has a channel in the middle so fluid can go through it from the line and into the caliper. The copper washers are soft and help the banjo bolt seal.

Last edited by 5.0THIS; 05-08-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
Why own a tool if you're not going to use it? I didnt buy my sawzall just for the small jobs. Mine got hot too but got through the job like a champ I went through one complete Milwaukee bi-metal blade, and about half used up another one, so not even two blades here. Next time you do cut something like that, keep the blade a little cooler with some WD40, or oil or something, and you wont go through 10 blades
Yeh, I'm pretty impatient so I was going for speed. I bought a pack of 15 cheap blades and changed them as soon as the blade slowed down. WD-40 didn't help with the cheap blades. I had both ears cut off in about 20 minutes per side. The whole job took less than 4 hours. I even took the time to paint the spindles black.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks 5.0 this. After you mentioned them, I knew the parts you were speaking of, I just didn't know the technical name. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:55 PM

I bought a power bleeder from motiveproducts.com and it only took 10 minutes to bleed the brakes. I noticed after doing the conversion that I don't have to push the pedal as far anymore. They really did make a night and day difference.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by z2896
I bought a power bleeder from motiveproducts.com and it only took 10 minutes to bleed the brakes. I noticed after doing the conversion that I don't have to push the pedal as far anymore. They really did make a night and day difference.
That's because the ZO6 calipers actually have less piston area, so you dont need to move as much fluid to get the same amount of work, which also gets you a firmer pedal that requires a bit more effort (alot of people like that).
Old 05-15-2006, 11:49 AM

They do require more effort but they give you a very nice progressive feel all the way from light braking to lock-up... it feels like I have a lot more control over braking effort, and gives me more confidence pushing deeper into corners and braking harder. The beefier tires I have probably help in that department also (265 front/295 rear).
Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 PM

It took about 3 weeks for my pads to seat. They are dusting like crazy. I'm hoping these Z06 Pads will not dust so much once they completely seat. The brakes work perfect and will literally throw you through the windshield. Also there is no high speed fading.

When my car came out in 97 Car and Driver did a track test and guess what was the achilles heel of the 97 Fbody's? Brakes and High Speed Fade.

I highly recommend this upgrade.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:34 PM

Got my calipers today. They are C5 Z06's with the brackets and flex hoses. Was wondering if there was a diffrence between the right side and the left side calipers? I have looked them over and can't find ne diffrences. Both calipers look to be in good shape, but one of them have some big chips in the metal "Corvette" stamping. Any recommendations to fix them? I plan on just filing them till they look decent, and repaint the red around them to disguise the visual defect.

Quick Reply: Just installed C5 brakes 60-0 Wahoo!