Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

K-member...worth it?(the umi one)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 AM

K-member...worth it?(the umi one)

Well since im installing a new lt4 motor in my bird with a lot(pretty much everything ) of new parts, i was looking for a tubular k-member...

My car is a street car with a lot of spirited driving/corner carving...got the mods in sig and much more.I will be using the stock upper/lower a-arm.

I already got panhard rod,rear control arm and c5 brake kit from UMI and im pretty please with the quality of the parts.

My 2 main concern are:

-Is it gonna have clearance issue?(Kooks LT)
-Is it worth it?

Thank you
Old 01-22-2007, 10:30 AM

They are supposed to offer better clearance for headers and some weight savings, not to mention it looks alot better then the factory piece. With a price tag of almost 500 dollars, you be the judge if it is worth it to you or not.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:45 AM

I personally think they are worth it, and use them on the majority of our project vehicles.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:18 PM

I used a BMR when i dropped in my 383. Paid $450 through Texas Speed & Performance. Also using Kooks LT's and i installed the LT's with the engine completly in and bolted up. Both sides slipped in through the bottom pretty easy. Saved almost 40lbs with the K-member and BMR lower A-arms. It was worth it to me. Lots more room too. If your gonna do it, then now is the time for sure!

Ken R.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 AM

What about the sphon unit in term of strenght/fittement???

Im looking for other option since the UMI one need some zip tie to attach the brake line and i dont like this idea
Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by always faster
What about the sphon unit in term of strenght/fittement???

Im looking for other option since the UMI one need some zip tie to attach the brake line and i dont like this idea
It doesn't need zip ties, where do you see that? Spohn's ad is just trying to make theres sound real fancy or something saying no zip ties. But when I installed my UMI k-member I bolted my brake brackets right onto the brake bracket they weld on to it for you. I dont see anywhere on UMI's site it says requires zip ties?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Sounds like if you can shave 40#, that's about half of what an LS1 gains in weight advantage. Should help across the board, 'cept the pocket book. I would've had I known when I established my setup.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by NOSCaMaRo
It doesn't need zip ties, where do you see that? Spohn's ad is just trying to make theres sound real fancy or something saying no zip ties. But when I installed my UMI k-member I bolted my brake brackets right onto the brake bracket they weld on to it for you. I dont see anywhere on UMI's site it says requires zip ties?
I've heard of the PA Racing k-member requiring zip ties as there are no provisions for the brake lines. Maybe he is confusing it with that one?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I've heard of the PA Racing k-member requiring zip ties as there are no provisions for the brake lines. Maybe he is confusing it with that one?
Yes most likely, the UMI one has two triangular mounts, one on each side you bolt the brake bracket to. From looking at pictures of the Pa Racing one on there site there is no mounts, so you would be right.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 PM

Well i ve received a couple of PM and some guys trust the UMI unit most.

But...

A couple of guys also told me that the spohn is as stronght as the UMI but provide more weight reduction since it doesnt have the second cross bar?

Im debating between the 2 right now

Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by always faster
Well i ve received a couple of PM and some guys trust the UMI unit most.

But...

A couple of guys also told me that the spohn is as stronght as the UMI but provide more weight reduction since it doesnt have the second cross bar?

Im debating between the 2 right now

Thanks
I'm sure the weight difference between the two will be marginal and break down to a few pounds if anything so I wouldn't let that worry you too much.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I'm sure the weight difference between the two will be marginal and break down to a few pounds if anything so I wouldn't let that worry you too much.
Yes exactly.

You need to find some people who are actually using these brands, not just listening to few Spohn or UMI nut huggers. People tend to recommend the brands they have boughten. Due some research and don't just listen to a buddy who is still running the stock k-member. There is a few good threads over at Ls1tech about these that would help.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Banned

I've been waiting on all my spohn parts for a long time. I ordered in late oct.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:27 PM

i have tubular upper and lower a arms, and i was told with the k member too i can drop about 70lbs...... this is what i was told.... so i mean if your looking to ditch weight, and get something stronger and looks better.... id go for it for sure
Old 01-28-2007, 04:28 PM

also does anyone have any imput into the bmr k member vs say umi?

Quick Reply: K-member...worth it?(the umi one)