Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Kind of stupid I guess...sway bar endlinks only- NEED to replace, but which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:31 AM

Kind of stupid I guess...sway bar endlinks only- NEED to replace, but which ones?

I replace the actual sway bar bushings, but not the endlinks. I was looking at everything trying to troubleshoot a metal to metal grind I am having when the suspension travels, like over dips in the interstate, and I saw what my endlinks look like. I would like to change out, just to rule them out of the equation. Anyway, looking at summit, there are a lot of different sizes/lengths. Which ones do I need....2 for the front and 2 for the rear. I've got a 1LE, so the front bar is 32mm and rear is 19mm???? Does the diameter of the bar matter for the endlinks only? What's the easiest way to find out what I need. Sorry this is stupid, I just need some guidance.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 10:35 AM

I bought a new bar, but they had black bushings and all my others were red, yeah stupid but annoying.

The only seperate end links I could find or that were sold seperate from the bar itself were sold by Performance Suspension. I measured my factory end links (spacer) and couldn't find any that were the right length that they made. So, I bought the closest size and had the spacer's milled down. Works great, and it was cheap.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:43 AM

I am still using my stock sway bar, I just didn't buy the complete ES bushing kit when I wanted to put new bushings on. Now, I have new bar bushings, but stock end links. I just want to make sure I get the correct size,length, or whatever, end links to replace the stock ones, which look like they are bent and ready to give out. Anyone know the Energy Suspens. part number I need for these?
Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 11:51 AM

The diameter of the swaybar doesn't have any impact on the end links. The stock sleeve is 2.5", and with your 1.5" drop with the Prokit, you'd be looking to get endlinks (4) with a 1" sleeve. Personally I found the easiest way was to order just the endlink bushing kit from ES, and then get the rest of the hardware (bolt, nut, sleeve) from the hardware store.

Dave
Old 05-10-2004, 12:56 PM

I have a 2" drop and kept my stock length, does the vast majority cut there sleeves?? If so, how much would I cut?? Ive never heard of this...
Old 05-10-2004, 01:27 PM

I'm sure the vast majority either keep the stock endlinks or buy aftermarket links with similar sleeve lengths. The idea is to keep the force on the end of the swaybar going perpendicular to the bar, direct to the end link mount point. Lowering the car will put your end link at an angle, effectively changing the stiffness of the swaybar since it deflects the endlink though its motion. How much effect this really has, I'm not sure. But we're talking the cost of a bolt and a sleeve, not much to make it right.

So the car goes down 2", the endlinks shorten 2".

Dave
Old 05-10-2004, 01:56 PM

If I did that, all my stock end link sleeves would be maybe a 1/2 inch max..
Old 05-11-2004, 06:31 AM

Thanks. That all kind of makes sense. I'm sure that after I really look at the end links and see exactly what the sleeves (metal?) and the individual bushings look like, it will make more sense. Does Summit sell the individual bushings? I'll look on ES 's website.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:23 AM

I use Moog endlinks. They are poly end links just like Energy Suspension.

And they are available at O-Reilly's for about $8 a pair.