Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Koni ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 AM

Koni ?

OK well Iam almost taken all I can take. I have worked on these front shocks for two days now. I removed the front passenger shock assembly and removed the shock and perch. I then reinserted that on to the new koni sa. Well when I tighten down the perch the rubber boot on the perch goes over the adjustment. Do I need to cut this or what? Thats not the bad part though. On the driver side I took off the orginal shock and compressed the spring and took off the bolt on the perch and tried to take off the perch only to find out that the rubber has siezed onto the shaft. I have no clue on how to remove it now besides buying a new perch and cutting the shaft to get the spring on. Is there any other suggestions? I didnt the koni's would be this hard. Also I hade to grind off the last couple of threads on the perch bolt because I couldnt get the bolt off because of rust.
-Brandon
Old 10-19-2006, 02:46 PM

Re: Koni ?

Slow down...take a deep breath

OK...when reassembling the Konis, you do it in this order:
  • lower perch isolator (taken off of DeCarbon lower perch)
  • spring
  • large flat washer (sits on top of Koni adjustment window)
  • shock mount (part removed from old shocks...holds shock assembly to car)
  • dog-bone (rubber block) get new one...they're cheap $5
  • nut onto Koni shock

As for disassembling the old shocks...patience is required. First off, get some good rust dissolver. And no...WD-40 is not a rust dissolver/penetrant. It's made for displacing water, not breaking free rusty bolts. Let it sit overnight...

If that doesn't work, a little propane torch might help. Don't worry too much about the dog-bone...replace it as it's cheap.

If all else fails, beat the s@&t out of the shock mount with a hammer. Hopefully, you won't damage it.

And finally, if nothing else works, you can cut the shock shaft, but this is very difficult to do.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:45 PM

Re: Koni ?

Lol everything you listed I did again today and still nothing. Its like the mount that is on the shaft that connects to the upper a-arm is like melted onto the shaft. The passenger one came right off with alittle tug this one is impossible. I dont understand it. I gave it to my neighbor to take to his shop and see what he can do with it.
-Brandon