Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Koni Install - Possibly gone wrong? plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 11:36 PM

Koni Install - Possibly gone wrong? plz help!

Hey guys,

hoping someone can give some insight into this. I'll do bullet point to make it super simple
  • Had a shop install a set of 4 Koni SA shocks - fronts were put on the lower perch (Kept stock springs w/ 140,000 KM)
  • Got the car home, noticed on the drivers side shock, the 'window' for adjustment was not useable - it was half facing the inside of the wheel well
  • Took the car back and asked them to fix it.
  • Mechanic put a monkey wrench or something like a C-Clamp type thing on the upper shock body and just twisted it around.
  • I'm noticing some sounds coming from that front corner now (possibly always there since the shocks were put in, so i'm not sure if it just started after they twisted it around)
  • The sound is almost like a groaning/squeaking. I really only notice it going slow, over bumps or on weight transfer like corners and such.

My question is, could they of damaged the shock by twisting the top part around? Or maybe its jsut the old and tired springs i'm hearing?

Thanks for any insight!

thx!!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 PM

Re: Koni Install - Possibly gone wrong? plz help!

Sounds like it could be your sway bar bushing making noise. They would have dropped your front bar to do the shock install most likely. You might regrease that and see if the noise goes away.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:32 AM

Re: Koni Install - Possibly gone wrong? plz help!

ahh, good point.

we're putting the car goes up on stands tonight for a mac header install so we'll take a peek then.

thx for the reply Rich!