Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Koni SA initial adjustment ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM

Question Koni SA initial adjustment ...

I realize this is the wrong forum but the suspension forum is too slow to help....so I'm just pasting a post from that forum in here in case someone can answer quickly. Sorry I don't have time to search, I tried but didn't come up with anything quickly enough:

Mechanic is getting them installed faster than I thought (along with other suspension stuff) and I was just wondering what a good starting point would be with these things in mind:

- They are Koni SA's with the dials
- It has Eibach Pro Kit
- I want good all around handling and ride.... "good compromise starting point"
- I realize I have to dial it in to my liking but just wondered where to start and figured I'd tell him to go ahead and set it that way right off the bat.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Your idea of "good all around handling and ride" and mine maybe entirely different. I start in the middle and work from there.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 AM

What size allen wrench is it for the fronts? Wheels have to come off right? Sorry I don't have a clue, just trying to save time digging through directions and experimenting. Clockwise is tighter on all four? Thanks for the reply ...
Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM

Just curious, how do they come out of the box? He said he installed them without touching them ....
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've purchased any Koni's. And the Koni supersport shocks I got for the Camaro,(MacPherson strut) have the *** on top. I think they were on full soft, or #1.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Koni SA's on the front are set to full soft from the factory. They use a 2.5mm allen wrench to adjust. Mine had 8 1/2 sweeps total. I ran with them on full soft for a little while and then strated playing to see if I could get even better. I firmed them up by 4 sweeps and am working from there. I actually didn't like 4 sweeps and backed it down a sweep yesterday to see how that does and I'll keep playing until I find what I truly want. That's the fun of having adjustable shocks. I don't know what the rears are set on from the factory, but I've got the 3rd Gen rears and there are only 4 settings. I'm set on 1 up from full soft right now and like it.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Thanks guys. He just cut some holes and it works nicely. So the directions don't make much sense. Do you sweep forward for firmer? I assume you put the allen wrench in the hole and "push" or "pull" it ("sweep it"?) either toward the front or rear. I never even took the stuff out of the box because I didn't want to lose anything and then mechanic friend got them installed really quickly before I had a chance to tinker with them off of the car. So the advice you all are giving is in regards to my Eibach springs as well or is that with stock springs? ...I know that no matter what every car is different of course, even if set up nearly identically. Plus one person's driving style or uses are different from another's. Just wanted a basic starting point and/or maybe some conjecture on how the settings affect understeer and oversteer.

To me it makes sense for example to set the fronts on full soft and the rears on full hard for drag racing. My theory is this allows the front end to lift a little more and keeps the rear from rebounding quickly when weight is transferred to it upon acceleration.

For oversteer and understeer I would think whichever end of the car is looser is going to tend to slide first but this may be wrong? ....when I have time I'll do some searches. Probably won't even be driving the car much at all until mid spring anyway.

Thanks for the input and more is welcome if anyone's bored.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:18 AM

Do a search over at www.ls1tech.com about Koni settings...there's A LOT of info there and you can make your best decision on where to set the shocks from there. Most guys either run full soft on the rears or 1 up from full soft on the rears though.

When you're looking at the "window" where the allen wrench goes, a sweep to to right makes the shock firmer, to the left makes is softer.

I got rid of my Eibach springs though...too soft in the rear and I bottomed out a lot on minor bumps. Common problem with LS1 Eibach springs, but the LT1 rates are supposed to be a little better...I'm now on Strano springs and I couldn't be happier!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 PM

Re: Koni SA initial adjustment ...

6-7 front 0-1 rear is good for my 500 lbs/150 lb spring set (linear) but without big swaybars, you're fighting an uphill battle