Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Koni SA v Bilstein HD for a daily driven 94Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 08:13 AM

Koni SA v Bilstein HD for a daily driven 94Z

I'm trying to make a final decision on which shocks I want. The car in question is my 94 Z28 convertible.

I don't have specific needs to lower the car, but if I went the Koni route, I'd probably use the lower mount in front and remove the isolator in the rear to lower it just a bit... If I did go that route would I need to change my panhard bar and use LCA relocation brackets?

I understand that the Koni offers adjustability, but if I'm running them on stock springs, would I really want or need that? Everything I've read says that the Bilstein HD with stock springs and adding a 35mm sway bar up front makes for a really nice daily driver...

Why would I choose one over the other??

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-27-2006, 12:17 PM

Re: Koni SA v Bilstein HD for a daily driven 94Z

Well, if you like your current ride-height and/or have no plans of switching over to stiffer springs later on, then go with the Bilstein HDs + 35mm swaybar + stock springs combo. However, if you feel like changing springs one day, you will be happy that you bought the Koni SAs to begin with.

Or you can go with Koni SAs front/Bilstein HDs rear and get the Bilsteins revalved if you switch out your springs. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:45 PM

Re: Koni SA v Bilstein HD for a daily driven 94Z

Originally Posted by Camaro_Maniac63
Well, if you like your current ride-height and/or have no plans of switching over to stiffer springs later on, then go with the Bilstein HDs + 35mm swaybar + stock springs combo. However, if you feel like changing springs one day, you will be happy that you bought the Koni SAs to begin with.

Or you can go with Koni SAs front/Bilstein HDs rear and get the Bilsteins revalved if you switch out your springs. Good luck.
I'd not say it's that obvious.

The best comparison I can give you is one such as this. HD's are to Koni's as a 330Ci is to an M3, or a base Corvette suspension is to a Z51 or Z06. Competent for sure, but not overly sporting IMHO.

I find the HD's to be a touch too soft for my liking even on stock springs. However, it's not that they are underdamped, simply that I like the more connected feel of a can with a bit more rebound control.

I don't know that I can explain it any better online. It's not a black and white thing. I recommend HD's when I feel they are suitable, I recommend Koni's when I feel they are suitable. That depends on what the person is after...... And I need details, as well as to be able to explain the differences in various ways. Not what you can do by e-mail.

Are you type of person who regrets not getting the best? Do you like to try different things? Would or could you make use of the ability of the Koni's to lower the car (this is not required, it's something you choose to do)? Then Koni's are the choice.

Are you the type of person who will order off the menu? Maybe you don't really love pickles, but they don't bother you. Is the car more basic transportation than toy? Then HD's are most likely the better choice.