Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

KYB AGX adjustble shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 AM

KYB AGX adjustble shocks

Hey everybody, new here.
I have a 99 convertible and it needs new shocks, has anyone used these shocks and what is an all around setting to start off with?
I am not looking for a drag racing set up but am more interested in improving cornering and just messing around with it.

Has anyone changed the springs in a vert? I have been told not to mess around with the suspension on a vert too much and have noticed a lot of aftermarket springs aren't designated for a convertible.

I installed bmr weld in subframe connectors last year while the car was in the shop after it was assended by an idiot at a light while my daughter was driving it.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 AM

Its one of those you get what you pay for sort of deals. They don't have the adjustability sweep that they claim, but are a decent replacement for the stock shocks. Something from Bilstein or Konis would be a better choice, but are going to cost more.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM

again not the best shock. A buddy had them and the car would be bouncy or extremely rough riding depdending on how the shocks were set. But for under 300 for 4 new shocks isnt that bad either. Perfect example of you get what you pay for. If you can find some blisteins(sp) i would go for those instead. If your willing to spend more coin, than koni and qa1's are in budget.
F bodies are really affected by the shocks you put on them. I wouldnt go with the kyb's if i were you. Talk to Sam Strano, he knows a thing or 2 about f body suspensions. www.stranoparts.com
Old 02-24-2008, 05:39 PM

WOW! I was hoping to hear better feedback on the KYBs, I have looked at the Bilsteins but it seems there are not any front ones in the country.
Thanks for the link to Sam Stranos site, is he a sponsor here? I did see he carries the AGXs so I guess they can't be all that bad.
As much as I would like to get the Konis the difference in price is a CO bull tag in the fall.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:46 PM

the kyb's are really that bad. Sam will tell you the same, and yes he is a sponsor. You ll regret getting them after your on em.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:06 PM

The prices are much different yes...but its already been stated that youll get what you pay for

Good reading material...
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=575526

Sam talks a little about his opinion of the AGX's halfway down the 1st page or so
Old 02-26-2008, 02:41 AM

^^^So in regards to what sam is saying in the link listed above, he would recommend the kyb agx over the blistien HDs of today if the Konis are not an option for financial purposes. I mean they must not be as horrible and disgusting as everyone claims they are if he would say that. I do understand that they are not the best choice. For the people that state the Kyb's are crap, I wonder how many of them have actually felt difference between them compared to a Blistein or are they just repeating what they hear online from someone elses review??
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM

ive seen sam tell people to get tokico's over kyb's. Have you ever seen them?
Have you searched? You ll find lots of options.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:49 PM

I done alot of searching because I am in the market for some shocks as well but I dont have the money for Konis. I got Sams opinion through PM's on which shock I get with my current situation. He suggested that with Blistiens current valving not being as good as it used to be a year or two ago, he would recommend the KYB AGX as a substitute if Konis are not an option. He did make it clear that they arent the best for comfort. Look at post #6 link and he even states that on that thread.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:34 PM

i have KYB AGX's on my Prelude with skunk2 lowering springs and i love them, for the money they are good

its a stiff strut even with the different settings, def a pretty rough ride on a bumpy highway or road but ive been in cars a lot worse, however the handling now is amazing, like a damn race car

i got Bilsteins on the T/A and its a smooth ride but, still has a lot of body roll but i got to do more things still, (sway bars, springs,tower brace etc...)
Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by slomarao
ive seen sam tell people to get tokico's over kyb's. Have you ever seen them?
Have you searched? You ll find lots of options.
I've seen Sam tell people a lot of different things. I know things are different on a case by case basis.

I had Tokicos before my current Bisteins and I prefer the Bilsteins. I've seen Sam telling people to get the Bilstein over AGX. I've also seen him say the SLP Bilsteins were better for lowering springs than the Bilstein HD and yet the new Bilstein HDs ARE SLP valving, but he recommends the AGX over them.

From my experience, if you have the softer springs (stock, Hotchkis, BMR, Eibach prokit) then the Tokicos and Bisteins work just fine. There are a lot of people running Bilsteins w/these springs that are perfectly happy with them too. LG recommended Bilsteins with their springs which are pretty stiff, but I haven't tried them.

My advice is to get advice from more than one sorce.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 03-01-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 AM

Here is my opinion for what its worth.

The KYB AGX is a horrible choice for a drag racing application. I know because they are on my car right now. However, I feel that these shocks would work great on a street corner carver. Not the best but not the worst choice either.
And honestly you can't beat the price for a set of adjustable shocks.
The fact that you can't adjust them softer than the stock decarbons really limits them in a drag setup.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:48 AM

Being an adjustable shock I find it surprising that they can't be set very soft. Fortunately I am lookig to stiffen up the ride a bit.
This is a car that I drive maybe 2-3K a year and I haven't run down a drag strip in over twenty five years so if I don't like them its not like it is going to be the end of the world and it wouldn't be the first time I wasted 400 bucks.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:26 PM

i have them on my car and i like them. people who say they are crap have expectations that are way to high, or they have never even tried them and just go by what "some guy" told them.

i would say you would be happy with the KYB shocks.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 PM

I just installed a set of the kyb agx on my car using the stock springs last weekend and im happy with the ride quality.

Quick Reply: KYB AGX adjustble shocks