Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

KYB AGX Settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 04:06 PM

KYB AGX Settings

Just installed 4 KYB agx shocks/struts in my 1996 Z28...

Just wondering what people with these shocks have their stiffness settings on. I started out at 4, but didn't like it, adjusted up to 6 on all 4 corners, and i like it.

Yours?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:13 PM

Re: KYB AGX Settings

From what I've heard they're either hard or soft w/no difference in between.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:39 PM

I would like to know too...I have my set on on 2 but the ride is real rough...o yea for the front strut did you use the rubber base from your stock strut??
Old 08-24-2005, 09:21 PM

If you mean the rubber bushing deal, that came new with the strut. If you mean the stock cap for the springs, i re-used the stock ones, the bottom is a hard plastic and was in good shape, as was the top, albeit a bit dirty, so a customary cleaning was in order. Other than that, all that is new is just the strut itself.

I had a chance to drive over some choppy roads (gotta love albany) and i must say, the smaller bumps are softer, but the bigger bumps are a bit sharper at first, then they ride out smooth.

Overall, i am liking them so far, but time will tell.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rashiki
If you mean the rubber bushing deal, that came new with the strut. If you mean the stock cap for the springs, i re-used the stock ones, the bottom is a hard plastic and was in good shape, as was the top, albeit a bit dirty, so a customary cleaning was in order. Other than that, all that is new is just the strut itself.

I had a chance to drive over some choppy roads (gotta love albany) and i must say, the smaller bumps are softer, but the bigger bumps are a bit sharper at first, then they ride out smooth.

so we were supposed to use that rubber piece on the base where the springs sits on the base???
Old 08-25-2005, 12:06 AM

I have the AGXs on all 4 corners as well. I bought them for drag racing thinking "adjustable shock, great price, perfect for drag racing" but it turns out for me they are not so good for drag racing.
Don,t get me wrong I actually like the shocks and I still think they make an excellent street handling shock. But I need more softness than the AGXs can provide especially up front. I run the fronts at 1 and the rears at 5 or 6 and have cut 1.8 sixty foots. I have found these shocks need alot of trial and error to get em setup right. Experiment with different front and rear settings and see what you like best.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rashiki

That's the rub with the KYB's. You can make them soft, but then they don't have much control (just wait until they age a little). Or you can turn them up, and the sharp bumps are bad, but you get better control. What's telling here is the sharp bumps are worse on impact, and that's one of the things the DeCarbon's are terrible @ vs. A Bilstein or a Koni. By this report, you find the KYB's worse. After that they get better because they have more rebound control (which is what GM messed up the worst), and that stabilizes the chassis.

You like them because they are better than stock. Then again, most stuff is.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:01 PM

"so we were supposed to use that rubber piece on the base where the springs sits on the base???"

It's hard plastic, and yes, i re used it because there was absolutely nothing wrong with mine.

I did some research about the kyb's before i got them, and i don't do much drag racing (once or twice a season if i'm lucky) so that wasn't a concern when getting them. I prefer better road handling and control as where i live there are a lot of switchbacks and curves etc etc. Sure the bigger bumps are a bit more harsh, but if i know one's coming up i'm slowed down for it.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 PM

Yeah i reused my stock stuff on the front as well. And I'm still playing with the settings. I've hit some bumps too fast and bottomed out the rear. I quickly adj them after doing that a couple times. For the price I paid, I am very satisfied. I doubt a single kyb owner will say they are better than A Bilstein or a Koni, but then again there is such a signifcant price difference. My two cents: Good bang for the buck.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM

I have mine at 1 front and rear and pretty soft but handling is not that bad..Talking street and highway not autocross. I think they will do fine at the track but they are no qa1 and for autocross likely koni or bilstein would be better. Still I think they are fine. They do not like big drops though 3/4 to one inch is about right.more than that they can get sloppy and they dont recommend big drops with them in the instructions.

I have played with mine before since have them in two of my cars.The factory shocks are pretty terrible and die pretty quickly. If bilstein would make some affordable adjustables likely would get them.
I would think 6 is pretty harsh for daily driving. But hey whatever floats your boat. And 1.8 60ft is pretty decent depending on what tires and stuff you were running.Takes a lot of power to get much better than that or big stall etc.etc.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:33 PM

I had some passengers in the back seat and was bottoming out so dialed up the kybs to 4 back and 3 in front. To my suprise the car has better ride and handling and don't think the bumps got harsher at all at the higher setting. I think with any lowering spring you do need to run them a bit higher on the dial then stock. I did notice that when practicing my 60fts it seems not not be as good with the fronts dialed up but can quickly turn them down. I don't drag much mostly just want a fun street car.

So I would try them at 4 or maybe a bit higher you might be surprised that they really aren't that bad. And until bilstein offers dial up adjustables I will keep buying kybs for my cars. and I mean adjustable without taking the shock off the car!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:54 PM

I just bought a set of these for my '95 and was about to ask what everyone thought and what settings to start with...great info. I run KYB Gas on all my cars and trucks and love them for street use.
I'll probably start with 4 on rear and 3 up front.