Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

KYB AGX Shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM

KYB AGX Shocks...

Its time for some new shocks for my street/strip 1995 Firebird. I was just wondering if anyone uses the KYB AGXs on their cars and if they are liked by those who have/had them. They seem fairly reasonable in price for externally adjustable shocks. I have the stock DeCarbons on the car now. Thanks for any input...

--Alan
Old 07-11-2005, 03:03 PM

Re: KYB AGX Shocks...

From what I have been told, they adjust from either hard to soft, no in between. Therefore, I ordered QA1 adjustables in the rear and am very happy with the quality. Injuneer has online documentation to assist in the installation. Bilsteins and Konis are also popular. The KYB AGXs are so attractive because they are so cheap in price, but a little more money will net you a much better shock i'm sure.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:00 PM

Thanks, yeah, I was looking at the KYBs because of their price, but, I know that you get what you pay for...I just don't have the budget for the QA1s right now. What is everyone else using? I want to keep the stock springs if I can, but would love some adjustablilty for the drag strip...Thanks...

--Alan
Old 07-12-2005, 01:38 AM

I have the AGXs on my car now, they make a good street type shock in my opinion but not a great drag shock.
the lowest setting on the AGXs is only 5 percent softer than the stock decarbon so you can stiffen em up real good but you really can,t go much softer than the stock setup.
I like them, they have good quality (no problems with install or longevity so far but I only have about 26K on em) they are not the best for drag racing as I said. I will be going to a QA1 setup in the future.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 PM

Had kyb agx on my 99 for awhile and just got some for my 96z28. They work fine for street with mild drops of inch or so and work ok at track for non super serious 1/4 mile use and are also fine for casual autocross stuff.

They were affordable for sure and I got recent set with super low miles cheap cheap so happy camper as they are much better than factory crap.
I dont' see a big problem with going much softer ,softer is not really a good thing ,these cars are pretty heavy and you can get bottoming even at stock height. If you lower them at all pretty much want to firm things up a bit anyway.

They are factory I think in lots of decent japanese cars. I would give them a 7 to 8 /10 for the average guy.
They are also very quick and easy to change settings on and require no special tools.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 PM

For me price was a big factor. I think i paid 225 shipped in the classifieds section. I don't know that I would pay much more. I've researched them quite a bit and at one time someone posted a chart displaying the % stiffness relative to stock for each setting. I think the general consensus is the rears are descent, but the fronts leave a little to be desired. I've been using them for about 3k miles now and I like them. I'm using Hotchkis springs. I'm expecting them to wear kind of fast b/c of the increased spring rate. Sam Strano is the Fbody suspension guru. He sells revalved shocks that are supposed to be good. Can't say if they're worth the price or not. Hope some of this helps.