Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

KYB's and Eibachs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2QUIK6
Can you explain what hardware was missing? I've never bought a shock that came with anything but the shock or strut itself and the bolts...mine came with bolts.
That's exactly it, all they supplied was the BOLTS for the rear shocks (for the lower end that bolts to the axle housing) but the bushings that the bolts go through, that go in the end of the shock, were NOT supplied?! My buddy had the shocks sitting around at least ~2 months (maybe longer? ) just waiting to get the stupid mounting hardware .

After all that, I don't think they turned out to be that great of a shock. I drove his car once, almost 3 years ago, so I can't honestly say how it handled. I know it felt a lot different than mine, but you figure, his was lowered, w/18's, while mine is/was stock, w/16's ..... and in ~15 minutes of driving, I couldn't tell if the rougher ride was just because of the lower profile tires than mine, or what?

Just going by the concensus around here, it sounds like Bilstein's or Koni's are really the only good option for 4th-gens??
Old 01-08-2007, 10:50 AM

I'll be around, I don't know when I can return the PM, and I haven't read it yet.... but I can't recommend anything by way of e-mail anyway. Just call me @ 814-849-3450, if I don't answer I'll call you back. I'm pretty much buried, so please be patient.

As for "Just going by the concensus around here, it sounds like Bilstein's or Koni's are really the only good option for 4th-gens?" Basically, yes. But that's not really any different than when you look at say, tires. There are many more not so good ones than really good ones. And FWIW, saying "Bilstein" is very vague. Remember there are 3 "Bilstein" shock sets you could choose from (actually, technically 4).
Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'll be around, I don't know when I can return the PM, and I haven't read it yet.... but I can't recommend anything by way of e-mail anyway. Just call me @ 814-849-3450, if I don't answer I'll call you back. I'm pretty much buried, so please be patient.

As for "Just going by the concensus around here, it sounds like Bilstein's or Koni's are really the only good option for 4th-gens?" Basically, yes. But that's not really any different than when you look at say, tires. There are many more not so good ones than really good ones. And FWIW, saying "Bilstein" is very vague. Remember there are 3 "Bilstein" shock sets you could choose from (actually, technically 4).
Yea, I will be giving you a call here in the next week or so and we can figure out what road to take.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Whoa man..... I have to disagree--with about everything you stated.

HD's are NOT perfect for lowered cars. Actually Bilstein states in no uncertai terms HD's are *not suitable* for lowered cars. Sports are, but they don't make Bilstein Sports for 4th gen's. And Sportlines are all about looks, not any kind of decently working suspension. Further, Bilstein doesn't make ANY adjustable shock for any f-body at all, let alone $1500 sets. Hell Koni DA's aren't $1500 a set. And Koni's start @ $725/set for a 4th gen, even less for a 3rd gen.

Also Bilstein doesn't have a "Revalved" version, they make HD's. Revalves are something I have done on a case-by-case basis to shock to make them control certain springs or uses. Basically I make the Sport valving they didn't care to, but I also do it for the person and use they are going to, not as a one size is good for everyone kind of thing.
so your saying these don't compliment each other?

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=70002
Old 01-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ZL1modified
so your saying these don't compliment each other?

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=70002
You might want to compare apples to apples. Those *aren't* HD's, but SLP valved versions. And the springs *aren't* Pro-kits or Sportlines, but again SLP versions that Eibach happened to build.

Basically, I didn't say those don't compliment each other. You are assuming I did because I told you HD's and Eibach's don't compliment each other. Those aren't either of the forementioned items.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:51 PM

You might want to compare apples to apples. Those *aren't* HD's, but SLP valved versions. And the springs *aren't* Pro-kits or Sportlines, but again SLP versions that Eibach happened to build.

Basically, I didn't say those don't compliment each other. You are assuming I did because I told you HD's and Eibach's don't compliment each other. Those aren't either of the forementioned items.
sorry someone like me wouldn't know that... hense the question... it's hard to tell from a picture and a brief statement...

thanks for clearing up my cofusion...
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ZL1modified
sorry someone like me wouldn't know that... hense the question... it's hard to tell from a picture and a brief statement...

thanks for clearing up my cofusion...
BUT, if you READ on the same page with the picture you linked.

"This new package combines our #70008 Bilstein shocks and #70009 Eibach springs to create the ultimate dual-purpose suspension upgrade for 1993-2002 F-Bodies. Custom designed to SLP’s specifications by their respective manufacturers, these pieces fuse race-quality responsiveness at the track with a firm but comfortable ride in everyday use. Best of all, you’ll save more than $20 over the cost of buying the parts individually"

Old 01-10-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
BUT, if you READ on the same page with the picture you linked.

"This new package combines our #70008 Bilstein shocks and #70009 Eibach springs to create the ultimate dual-purpose suspension upgrade for 1993-2002 F-Bodies. Custom designed to SLP’s specifications by their respective manufacturers, these pieces fuse race-quality responsiveness at the track with a firm but comfortable ride in everyday use. Best of all, you’ll save more than $20 over the cost of buying the parts individually"

okay, you got me!!! my bad... i didn't know they actually did more work to them...