Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

LCA's and relocation brackets

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by steve40
i noticed an improvement on the 60' times

isn't it that .1 on the 60 is approx .3 to .4 over the quarter

so then they would be an improvement
no .1 on your sixty foot time, is good for .1 to .15 on your 1/4.

jesse
Old 12-29-2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by bruecksteve
They help very little. Even the people that sell them admit MAYBE .1 in your 60 foot times. And the stock geometry is not crap. Ask any guys that autocross or road race their cars. Most of the guys that are allowed to do it in their class do it for the added strength, reduced weight and more precise location, not because it gives them more traction or anything else. Get a torque arm if you want to play with pinion angle.

Another myth....

There is a huge difference in the suspension set-up for an auto-cross car and a strip car. For auto-cross you want to have your car lowered. For drag racing, you don't want your car lowered. So you can't compare the suspension set-up on an auto-cross car and drag strip car. They are totally different.

But I would have to agree that getting a torque arm will help with traction, if you get an adjustable one.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:02 PM

Thinking about trying some LCA brackets, should the pinion angle be returned to stock (0*) or should I leave my -2* in the TA set up and use the relocation brackets?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:26 PM

I have the weld in relocation brackets with stock lca's and right height, I have them in the lower of the two. whats the difference from the top hole ? and does it really matter?
Old 12-29-2003, 01:34 PM

I'm not comparing. I can't use them in my class anyway. I base my statement on what I've not only heard from others but particularily one company that sell's them. I haven't found anyone that can show (with factual information) any real substantial performance benefit, if if there is any, it won't be some really big amount. The point is, there are much better ways to get a performance improvement then LCA's and brackets. The torque arm is a MUCH better improvement for the money.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by bruecksteve
The torque arm is a MUCH better improvement for the money.
That is a matter of opinion...the after market TAs are heavy!! and if you are wanting to go fast in 1320FT. then light weight is useful.

The relocation brackets work well and they are much lighter. I have seen several stock TA pull some really good 60's and most of them had the relocation brackets. The problem I have with the stock TA is that it is mounted to the trans. Not a huge problem in an auto set up but for an M6 I just do not like that idea.

On the other side, depending on the set up, I have seen the relocation brackets create more starting line problems than fixing...car would hop and spin on take off with the brackets, removed them and it comes out much better.

It is dependent on each set up....
Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by bruecksteve
I'm not comparing. I can't use them in my class anyway. I base my statement on what I've not only heard from others but particularily one company that sell's them. I haven't found anyone that can show (with factual information) any real substantial performance benefit, if if there is any, it won't be some really big amount. The point is, there are much better ways to get a performance improvement then LCA's and brackets. The torque arm is a MUCH better improvement for the money.
You said your self they are good for .1 in the 60ft. For 60 bucks that's a HUGE performance to dollar ratio. I already have an adjustable torque arm and I think I'm going to spend the 55 bucks at UMI for a set of weld ins and see how they do.

And my god, I just realized how old this thread is
Old 11-14-2006, 06:12 PM

I've been doing suspension on trucks for almost 10 years and the logic still applies to a car. Stock, the rear control arms sit pretty close to parallel to the ground. When you stomp on the gas and the rear suspension compresses, the rear mounting point will end up higher than the front mounting point because of how the suspension travels and affects the position of the frame rail where the front of the arm is mounted is related to the axle position. If the control arm does this and the rear ends up higher than the front, the drive from the tires will actually try to put the axle up and over the front mounting location which in turn causes wheel hop because the tire starts to fight the suspension. When you put in the lower control arm brackets you maintain the downward angle on the control arm. You can hammer on the gas, compress the suspension but still the rear of the control arm won't move above the parallel point, or above the front mount of the control arm. As long as the control arm is at or below parallel with the ground the tires are going to try to drive the axle into the ground putting the power where you want it and eliminating wheel hop. It doesn't change your pinion angle at all and the relocation bracket will use the stock length control arm in any of the holes. Just my opinion with my own personal experience with many different suspensions. I have them and will be doing all the suspension work on my Z once it's put away for the winter in my garage.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by S.J.S.
Well a tenth on your 60' is at least that in the quarter. As far as a difference goes.....I noticed a HUGE difference in my car. Before my car would wheelhop so bad I thought the rear was gonna come through the trunk. I have never felt wheel hop since. I only spin tires now but thats because they are like 2 years old with 30k on them.
<-------This is what the LCA Relocation brackets are for....
Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Administrator

I've seen/measured significant improvements in 60-ft times with the LCA relo brackets, on 4th Gens ranging from 500-1,350HP. Baxter's car picked up 0.1-sec, the same day Steve Spohn welded on the brackets, and that 1/10th was dropping from ~1.44 to ~1.33 60-foots. Nothing else was changed. A car that was traction challenged gained so much traction we had a hard time keeping the rear bumper off the pavement.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:58 PM

I wonder what they will do with my 440ish hp, launching from 5k.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:35 PM

I was just glad to get rid of my wicked wheelhop!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:31 AM

My car is not lowered. I went with just the LCAs and no RLBs for the sake of handling. I read (dont know the validity to this) that RLB's on a stock ride height vehicle will not improve and actually hurts cornering a bit. I decided to go with just LCA's and if I still had wheelhop then I would get them. My wheelhop is gone with just the LCA's and I dont see a need to get RLBs. I have no 60' times to compare but launching the car is worlds more consistent. Handling also improved with LCAs and a panhard rod. Im happy with everything.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by LimitedEd1LE
Umm.....actually getting relocation brackets will greatly improve the suspension geometry of you car. What the hell are you smoking? The stock suspension geometry is crap on the f-bodies. Getting relocation brackets will improve straight line traction because it will relocate the pitch of the rear.

So yes, go ahead and get some relocation brackets and LCA's. You will notice an great improvement in traction.
Do you have proof as in time slips of before and after adding relocation brackets? Talk to most Stock Eliminator guys and they will tell you that relocation brackets are worthless. They will even tell you that the brackets put the rear suspension in a bind. I can't say one way or another.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 AM

The logic seems simple to me, how can lowering the angle an inch or two hurt? I wish you could set the LCAs to the stock location with the brackets, so that you could compare the difference.

Quick Reply: LCA's and relocation brackets