Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

lets see some rollcages,

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 AM

not to threadjack or anything but I am also looking into a cage but I want one with the main hoop with the rear bars going into the sidepanels to retain use of the rear seats.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I wouldn't consider a bolt-in. The floor pan is just too thin to support the weight and impact if the cage is ever put into service.

Nor would I consider ERW tubing. ERW tubing will split at the seam. Insist on DOM tubing, 1 3/4", .120 wall for a heavy 4th gen.

A cage is one of those things that you really need to work and work well when called upon to do it's job.

I've witnessed roll-overs and wall contacts that have ripped the floor pan of a bolt in cage. Conversely, I saw a Porsche 911 take an 80mph shot in the A-Pillar from another 911. The energy was sent upwards and away from the driver and his legs. The cars were toast, but the drivers walked away.

Welding proper floor plates to a structural part of the car and then welding the cage to the floor plates is a must for it to work properly.

example:
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/mitc...llarPlateL.jpg
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/mitc...MainFloorR.jpg
But what about having those plates welded in and then bolting in the plates that are on the bottom of the roll bar tubes? This way you could take the bar out with a little less effort if the need comes up.
Just a thought.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
But what about having those plates welded in and then bolting in the plates that are on the bottom of the roll bar tubes? This way you could take the bar out with a little less effort if the need comes up.
Just a thought.
And it's an excellent thought.

If the bolt in cages land the attaching points at those locations, then yes, it would probably work.

On the Main hoop though, there is no access underneath the car. That point is in the lower LCA forward mount. It's a substantial part of the car and the reason we take advantage of putting the floor plate there.

On the front, the pan is the weakest part of the car. So we run the plate up the side, taking advantage of the door sill structure, a side impact structural member.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mitchntx
And it's an excellent thought.

If the bolt in cages land the attaching points at those locations, then yes, it would probably work.

On the Main hoop though, there is no access underneath the car. That point is in the lower LCA forward mount. It's a substantial part of the car and the reason we take advantage of putting the floor plate there.

On the front, the pan is the weakest part of the car. So we run the plate up the side, taking advantage of the door sill structure, a side impact structural member.
Thanks, I quess I'll have them to what they can to make it as strong as possible, and not worry about taking it back out. Iv'e had it since day one and don't plan on ever selling it. Believe it or not, I have two grown daughters that started arguing about who it will go to down the road. The wife settled that one with, "I'm pretty sure your father plans on being buried in it".
Old 10-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 9formula4
not to threadjack or anything but I am also looking into a cage but I want one with the main hoop with the rear bars going into the sidepanels to retain use of the rear seats.
http://www.screamandfly.com/xtrememo.../images/02.jpg

http://www.screamandfly.com/xtrememo.../images/03.jpg

I used a wolfe roll bar. I also had it pre notched it fit great.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 AM

mines an S&W kit I ordered it from spohn tho, eaiser for me to pick it up at steves shop than to drive to S&W to get it.
http://www.streetlethal.net/rollbar

Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 PM

i think im gonna go the route of a weld in 6pt wolfe. thanks for the info guys u helpd alot