Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Let's talk roll bars...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:04 AM

Let's talk roll bars...

I am about to be installing a 383 LT4 with a good bit of spray (~250) on top of it. I "hope" I should be running better than 11.99s. So, in anticipation of the very soon upcoming 1/4 mile times, I am directing some attention towards safety and rules complience.

I have been looking at Wolfe's roll bars (6 point). I am definately going to go with a 6 point weld-in with jig notching. These roll bars look like the highest quality and they have a great following from many Fbody owners.

So here are my questions:

If I go with swingouts, especially since I am somewhat of a big guy, am I compromising any type of strength or rigidry? How well do the swing outs work? Any problem with rusting with the metal on metal rubbing?

I like the look of the over-the-rear-seats roll bar. How badly does it hamper the view through the back of the hatch? Is this type of design just as strong and sturdy as the rear bars going through the rear speaker grills?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2004, 12:40 PM

Re: Let's talk roll bars...

Swingouts are really handy, probably more for some of us larger guys. They're NHRA legal to my understanding, so I'd guess there's no particular issue with them being weaker than required.

I would double-check that the Wolfe rollbar is actually NHRA legal though... you'd hate to install it and have your track fail it. And with that kind of power, you don't think you'll hit 10's and require a full cage?

Dave
Old 10-28-2004, 02:04 PM

Well, I was under the impression through research and heresay, that you don't need a full cage until running equal to or less than 10.00 seconds in the 1/4. I read that a 4, 5, or 6 point roll BAR is legal up till 10.01

I believe most people around here (Dallas/Fort Worth area) use without problems from teh local tracks the wolfe roll bars/cages.
Thanks for the info
Old 10-28-2004, 02:51 PM

I will have an LG 4pt bar for sale in a few weeks.

If you have charcoal TA interior, I would trade sail panels to prevent you having to cut yours.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Administrator

NHRA requires a minimum 5-point roll-bar for coupes 11.99-10.00. The side bar must be on the driver's side. 4-point would not be legal. Wolfe indicates their's meets NHRA. The thing with some of the kits like the Kenny Brown is that the side bar does not meet tech, because the bar does not meet the requirement of passing the driver's arm between the elbow and the shoulder. Can't be any lower than that. Swingouts are legal. Its worth getting a copy of the NHRA Rule Book, before you do the install.

My bar is about 4 years old, and I've never even noticed even as much as paint chips on the swingout, where it seats in the locking saddle. If the install is done correctly, and the pin is fitted "tight", you shouldn't see a big loss in rigidity. Leave the pin out when you jack the car and you might notice some displacement.

Also have mine braced to the top of the package shelf, rather than the speaker cutouts, and mainly because of an added X-brace, rear vision is compromised slightly. And, being visible from behind, it seems to inspire a lot of insipid imports to do flybys.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP03475a.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-28-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:20 PM

Thanks Injuneer, that answered all my questions.