Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Loctite and double check caliper bolts....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 PM

Loctite and double check caliper bolts....

Today I had a close call. I had just got off I-40 doing 75+ when I starting hearing metal to metal. I didn't know what it was but stopped at a gas station to find out. When I pulled in to the gas station, the right front started to lock up with me. I got out and found this.....

I thought the bottom brake bracket caliper bolt had sheared(the one attaching the bracket to the knuckle), however the bolt was MISSING. I must have forgot to torque it and it worked it's way out. I'm very lucky it came out on the off ramp and didn't lock my wheel up on I-40.

Some minor machining it done to my wheel.....

The caliper also ripped off the balancing weights on the inside of the wheel.

I put red loctite and re-torqued on the other caliper bolts and will do the same for the passenger's side once I get a new bolt for it.

I'm really blessed it didn't turn out worse. Just be sure and double check stuff like this...I let this one slip by me.

I limped the car home by using a k-member bolt to hold the caliper in place. It's the same size bolt...however it's too long. I only had 5 miles to drive, so it can be used in a pinch.

Last edited by ACE1252; 08-07-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 PM

You don't need red locktite on those bolts at all, just tighten them correctly.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
You don't need red locktite on those bolts at all, just tighten them correctly.
It's true the manual does not call for thread locker(torque spec is 74 lb-ft), however after this little deal I'm making sure they don't come out. It will take an impact gun to remove them, but I'm cool with that.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 AM

I did i search on here to see if this happen to anyone else and I had the same damn thing happen to me today. Replaced the brakes in august and I know the bolts where tightened. (I have changed Brakes for many years with no issues) Both my bolts where still with the caliper. This crap I don't like because I know I always double check bolts when it comes to the car I drive. Anyone think I should replace the bolts? To much wear to the OEM bolts?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Re: Loctite and double check caliper bolts....

Holy crap I had the same thing happen to me last week on my front passenger side!

I got a new bolt and put red loctite on it. That's not a place to take chances with a bolt coming loose.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 PM

Im glad to hear nothing serious happened to you. I had the same scenario about a year and a half ago, but I always thought I had not torqued the bolt to specs. In my case I run LS1 brakes with adapter brackets.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:38 PM

This happened to my wife in her '04 Suburban. We'd had it in the dealer's shop (near her mother's house on the Northern Neck) for an inspection and a few warranty adjustments. Two days later, taking a 'burb-load of five-year-olds to a pumpkin patch, the rear caliper dropped a bolt and cut through the rear wheel. One of those warranty adjustments was the parking brake... Thankfully, it dropped out in town at 25 mph, instead of a offset rear wheel lockup at 55 or 60!