Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

lookin to make custom vert cage.. lengthy description

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 PM

lookin to make custom vert cage.. lengthy description

ok, -deep breath in-

i have a vert, i am looking to make a removable hardtop for it, and i want to implement some sort of rollbar in it. key point! this rollbar will be for my personal wants, not to pass track inspection. i.e., i am not looking to make this legal for when the car is capable of running 11's or 12's, i just want it for personal reasons.

the removable hard top setup is going to be in two main pieces, and it will mostly look like whistlers targa top setup when done..(i mean, i hope it will look that good )

what i am looking to do is make a removable roll bar that will be enclosed in the rear roof section that can be removed easily when i remove the top completely. something like a pull pin setup or maybe a bolt thru setup.

um, i guess to further explain it for clarification, it will be sort of like two or four sockets for the top to slide into when i lower the assembly onto the car and then i secure the tubing by running something thru them(the fiberglass/carbon fiber rear roof part will secure to the car with other means).

another key point!! everything i am doing tho this car will not permanently alter the vehicle, i.e. i am removing the cloth convertible top assembly to make room for all of this to go into..

i guess if you are still with me, i will ask the question i came here to ask..

how can i make a rollbar that will be in a basic format(kinduv like a truck rollbar that is in the bed of the truck, but functional) that can be removed with the rear top assembly?

maybe have a tube that is smaller diameter than the rollbar tubing so that it fits snugly inside where the rollbar seperates? basically converting what would be a female-female(stay on topic) connection with the rollbar when it is cut, to a male-female connection? would that be strong enough to make this whole thing worth a damn?

i know that i have been all over the place in this post, but if any of you have deciphered what i am talking about, please lemme know..

thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Re: lookin to make custom vert cage.. lengthy description

I acctually understood. I think you are a pioneer with this set up. And you are gonna be on your own for the most part. I would say do the male-felme end thing, AND a pin. maybe a bit of rubber in there, so that the bars don't make any noise. Hope my post helped even a bit.

ps-Hope you know how to weld.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:44 PM

thks for the reply.. i like te idea of using rubber, to get all of this project done, and deal with rattling noises would drive me nuts.. maybe some sort of rubber or urethane sleeve? or a collar? hmm, gonna hafta think of it some more...

i have some welding experience, couple years in auto body classes and messing around with small projects myself...

but my ace up the sleeve? my buddy has a couple years under his belt where he was a welder at a shipyard, he is pretty handy with a mig, tig and stick..

thks!
Old 08-20-2005, 02:11 AM

Man I really drifted off when I got to the female to female part......oh yeah.........OK, I'm back! Well I think all roll bars made for our cars, including Wolfe, SUCK.

They look like a redneck airboat frame or something. You need to craft some double hoops, like any porsche or ferrarri or Audi. The F-body Vert NEEDS this. I designed a set but haven't welded them up yet. ANother thing...aircraft teardrop crossection, not round. I know this is available in aluminum in pilot mags, but don't know about moly or steel (which you dont' seem to need anyway)

ANyhow.... You seem super creative and inventive. Don't let us down since you are going the mile on this project! And we demand pictures!!!! Especially that female to female part...LOL!

Last edited by rambo benson; 08-20-2005 at 02:13 AM. Reason: messed up
Old 08-20-2005, 09:29 AM

i was toying with that very idea, the double hoop setup.. the audi tt double hoop has always caught my eye.. i personally like it and honestly never thought about the teardrop cross section.. is that something that can be manipulated somewhat easily? i mean, standard mandrel bending is one thing, but i have no idea where to start with a tube with that cross section.. i wouldnt know how to work with it, lol.. but i do like the idea..

i am trying to find a 3d cad-like program that i like so i can get an idea how all this would look in real life. and before any glass or carbon fiber gets laid down, i am going to mock everything up in a sort of paper mache' way to make sure the lines flow and it doesnt look odd..

as for pictures, do not worry, i am going to document this like a national geographic episode. lol, and maybe i will end up with some pictures of that female-female part...hehe, that would make the project worthwile..
Old 08-20-2005, 12:33 PM

You got me there on the airfoil mandrel bending. Oh well.

I did buy a bunch of 1.69 swimming pool noodles just to play with and bend to shape inside the car with some duct tape just to get a general idea.

Look at Miata Extreme rollbar on the net. WOW! It crosses over into an X between the hoops...best I've seen and just too cool!!!

Good luck and really looking forward to seeing your progress man! Quite ambitious!!!