Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

looking for info on SFCs... help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 03:28 PM

looking for info on SFCs... help wanted

i'm getting some SFCs soon and looking for information on their performance. so far i've noticed that there's really only 3 variations:

1. boxed
2. tubular
3. double diamond

both can be bolt on or weld on, but everyone seems to agree that the weld ons are better. what difference, if any, is there between the boxed, tubular, and double diamond setup though? if anyone has some information please let me know. thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:25 PM

Re: looking for info on SFCs... help wanted

The difference is strength here they are in strongest to weakest.
1. Diamond
2. Boxed
3. Tubular

I have the Tubulars made by BMR. I love them they are strong enough for anything i'll ever need and they give great ground clearance along with being out of the way. My buddy has BMR boxed and they hang down low enough you can see them very easily which is not the look i like. Supposedly they've been redesigned and don't hang down so low. It depends on what kind of driving you would do. I think Diamond would only be necessary if you did autocross. I also think the Diamonds might kind of be in the way if you needed to remove the driveshaft, tranny and other stuff. For a daily driver i would go with boxed or tubular. I find it funny that people always go overkill on the SFC's on their stock or bolt on cars when it really isn't necessary.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ParadoxX
i'm getting some SFCs soon and looking for information on their performance. so far i've noticed that there's really only 3 variations:

1. boxed
2. tubular
3. double diamond

both can be bolt on or weld on, but everyone seems to agree that the weld ons are better. what difference, if any, is there between the boxed, tubular, and double diamond setup though? if anyone has some information please let me know. thanks in advance!
I am going with the BMR (boxed) for a convertible. I don't think you can go wrong with any SFC but you can get less for your dollar. One of the elite vendors has very high prices though they have quality products, that is IMHO. They have priced themselves out of my wallet. One of the reasons I am getting the BMR's is there currently is a GP for BMR items. SFC, LCA, PHB, STB all at once.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:44 AM

I've had my I on the Kenny Brown 82-92 Subframe Connectors , or the Spohn Sub Frame Connectors because of the support bars that run inward to the crossmember. I don't know anybody that has them though.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:48 AM

I went with bmr tubulars on the vert. I wish I would have gone with boxed...too late now unless I want to grind out 10 lbs. of weld. Can definitely tell a difference driving on michigan roads.....
Old 09-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jeremyferguson
I went with bmr tubulars on the vert. I wish I would have gone with boxed...too late now unless I want to grind out 10 lbs. of weld. Can definitely tell a difference driving on michigan roads.....
Tell me more about BMR tublars for the convertible. I am getting ready to purchase these SFC's but I don't want to get them if they won'y do the job. Can you tell me the plus' and minus' of the BMR tublar 'verts? Do your look like the LS1 version? http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm
Old 09-26-2004, 05:43 AM

what about the bolt on versions? i think slp has some. are they as good as welded on? or would the bolt tend to rip out(i dont know where they are bolted)
Old 09-26-2004, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up Re: looking for info on SFCs... help wanted

Originally Posted by godofdragons
what about the bolt on versions? i think slp has some. are they as good as welded on? or would the bolt tend to rip out(i dont know where they are bolted)
If you can not weld on the SFC's save your money and forget about the bolt on ones. You are trying to stiffen up the car and the bolts of the SFC' will just flex and not be as solid as the welds. I have the Spohn Tube type welded in and the difference is night & day with the improvement in body stiffness. Welding is the only method in my opinion.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:00 AM

I went with teh welded in Kenny Brown DDs. I liked that they extend in toward the center of the car. I feel that helps laterial stiffness. They do not extend down below the rockers so they don't show....stealthyness.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:03 AM

BMR tubulars. THey fit very nicely and you cant even see them. NO ground clearance taken up.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by tomatocity
Tell me more about BMR tublars for the convertible. I am getting ready to purchase these SFC's but I don't want to get them if they won'y do the job. Can you tell me the plus' and minus' of the BMR tublar 'verts? Do your look like the LS1 version? http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm
The tubulars work fine. I don't know how they compare to boxed, because I've never had them. I've just heard, and it makes sense, that the boxed are stronger(and with the verts we need all the help we can get). My car is stock ride height so I think boxed would have been a better choice. If yours is lowered or you plan to lower it I think tubulars would be a better choice.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:20 AM

i'm thinking of getting a GFX kit so i'm leaning more towards the boxed now. unfortunately it means any thoughts of me lowering it are disappearing. but, on the bright side, it'll hide the boxed SFCs. i'm not sure how much more stiff they are, but i'm not doing too many suspension mods so getting the most suspension from each will be nice. hopefully i'll have enough to put some power down at the track next time without losing drivability.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:50 PM

anybody know of a company who makes double diamond sfc's for 3rd gens?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by hardcoresoldier
anybody know of a company who makes double diamond sfc's for 3rd gens?
Maybe Kenny Brown.