Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Lowered F-bodies (daily driven or nearly daily) - Chime In

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:26 AM

I started out lowering my 1999 TA Firehawk with a set of lowering springs, and kept the stock (worn out) deCarbon shocks. Big mistake; the car was undriveable. Took those off, and ordered the SLP Level 2 set (Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, boxed LCAs). Best purchase for the car I've ever made. Pricey, but very worth it. Don't even think about installing lowering springs, without considering your shocks too. They are meant to work as a team.

My car is about 3/4" lower than stock. I do have trouble with some speed bumps (particularly if I have a passenger), but the most trouble I have with scraping is caused by the drive shaft loop, so I have to be very careful with steep driveways etc.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Davies
I started out lowering my 1999 TA Firehawk with a set of lowering springs, and kept the stock (worn out) deCarbon shocks. Big mistake; the car was undriveable. Took those off, and ordered the SLP Level 2 set (Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, boxed LCAs). Best purchase for the car I've ever made. Pricey, but very worth it. Don't even think about installing lowering springs, without considering your shocks too. They are meant to work as a team.

My car is about 3/4" lower than stock. I do have trouble with some speed bumps (particularly if I have a passenger), but the most trouble I have with scraping is caused by the drive shaft loop, so I have to be very careful with steep driveways etc.

I have the stock shocks on my 1994 with Eibach Pro Kit (1.25" drop) and wouldn't call it "undriveable" (what was undrivable about yours?). It only had 35K on the clock though and the shocks weren't worn out. Now it has 48K and I sense a little body roll. I would like to upgrade shocks. Anyone do the springs with good stock shocks and have decent results? ....just wondering if I've seriously been missing out, maybe this thing doesn't handle as well as I think?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 PM

For one, my car handles great now after all the suspension work I've done in the past three months. Eibach Prokit -Says 1 inch but it feels lower than that. Bilstien shocks, SLP LT's and Catted Y (soon to be ORY).

Another thing... My SLP LT's will trip on anything that is NOT flush w/ the surface of the ground. I have to take Driveways at a wicked angle so I don't ruin my exh set up. Say Bye Bye to speed bumps, MUST avoid them.

But as long as I am staying on finished roads, no problem. I accidentally found myself on a REALLY busted up road in town. I had to take it VERY SLOW because I was nervous about tripping on something. Nothing happened, tho.

I have to avoid anything that I MIGHT trip on. If it's about the size of a water bottle, avoid it... or even the size of a pack of smokes..
Old 12-05-2006, 12:45 PM

I forgot to post a reply to the question. Mine is lowered 1.25" with the Eibach Pro Kit ....I don't think it's too bad in and of itself. However, I have Hooker long tubes, and a huge, retarded Mufflex Y-pipe that hangs about 3 - 4" above the ground on the driver's side (I really wish I had done true duals!). That y-pipe drags on everything, so it's good that it's a heavy duty piece. I have Boxed SFC's and they rarely if ever hit anything. My air dam scrapes a lot but has never threatened to tear off or anything. Sometimes I have to be mindful of the Borla exhaust tips but only if I'm trying to tackle a steep driveway or something. I take a lot of things on at an angle and avoid speed bumps at all cost ....I think most of my trouble is due to the header collectors hanging so low, and the retarded Mufflex Y-pipe.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:01 PM

I had trouble driving both of mine around here at stock ride height.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM

My 96Z had the pro-kit with 17x11 zr1's wrapped in 315's.

As far as the actual drop, that is the LOWEST I'd go on a daily driver. I could barely clear speed bumps and had to drive cautiously(sideways up ramps and so forth).

My only issues were with my wide tires, with 275's or smaller, there should be no clearance issues. With 315's, I needed fenderwell massaging with the pro-kit drop.

Bottom line, if you are using "normal" sized wheels and tires, the pro-kit is GREAT for a daily. If you have HUGE tires, then prepare to get custom in the clearance areas!

Brian
Old 12-05-2006, 01:20 PM

I'm running factory WS6 springs on my car. It lowered it around .5". I don't have problems with small-medium sized speed bumps. But high ones, and steep inclines I have to take at angles. If you're worried about ground clearance, try finding a set of used WS6/SS/Firehawk springs like I have. Most importantly, just drive smart.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:22 PM

I have the Eibach Prokit, boxed SFC, and a Magnaflow catback. I have to drive cafefully but my Z28 is an enjoyable daily driver. I take speed bumps very carefully, rolling over them with as little suspension bounce as possible. If I take it too fast, the bounce hits the SFC and it doesn't sound pretty. I also take it easy on driveways. The front air dam scraps all the time, especially when entering the street. The exhaust tips scrap more than I like them too. Generally speaking, I find that my suspension set up works here in San Diego. The Highway pavement is smooth and well kept. So drivng isn't a problem with a lower and stiff suspension.

Sure rough pavement will give you a problem. But there cars weren't ment for off roading.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM

i have hotchkis 1 inch drop springs, umi boxed subframe connectors, and pacesetter long tubes. I can make it over most speedbumps and nothing scrapes. I have not scraped the SFC's. Ive only scraped headers 3 times in the year that ive had them in. In my opinion, 1" drop is all you need. Makes it look mean without being too too low. You can also definatly tell its lowered.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Camarocracy
I'm running factory WS6 springs on my car.
Me 2, I rub my air dam on people's drive ways all the time. I could never deal with lower then what I have....My car would be thrashed from all the pot holes.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Mine wasn't daily driven, but I had the DMS springs, LCA, LCA reloc, and no problems. I can't remember what shocks I ran on it. I had it like that for about 3 years no problem.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:16 PM

My car is pretty low and it is not too bad. It was my DD like this for umm... about 4 or 5 years I think, maybe just 4, it wasn't that bad and it's still not.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by '94 Bad A Z28
My car is pretty low and it is not too bad. It was my DD like this for umm... about 4 or 5 years I think, maybe just 4, it wasn't that bad and it's still not.

Whats that gauge for?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 PM

To watch my FP, when I was spraying with the stock FP I deffinately think it saved me from doing bad things, lol. When I started spraying a 150 shot with the stock pump pressure started dropping, and I wouldn't have known without it.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 PM

Oh the 12.1 in my sig is only a 100 shot.

Quick Reply: Lowered F-bodies (daily driven or nearly daily) - Chime In