Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Lowering 1" on aftermarket wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:32 PM

Lowering 1" on aftermarket wheels/tires

I'm running 245-40-17s up front and 275-40-18s out back on my 1995 Camaro w/ C5 wheels. Im looking to buy an Eibach kit to drop my car a little bit to try and get rid of its 4x4 look But I need to know how big of a PITA its going to be to get those rear wheels to fit under that without rubbing.

I already had to hammer out a few spots inside the wheel well to get them to fit -- but that was on the backside. I dont THINK there would be any clearance issues, but I'd like to hear from others who have done a setup like this. Please let me know
Old 12-29-2004, 08:19 PM

Re: Lowering 1" on aftermarket wheels/tires

I best advice I can give you is buy an adjustable PHR if you already haven't done so. That will help you center the rear if it's a little off center. I have the same setup as you, C5 wheels. But I have 18s on all four corners, and I used BMR springs. Once you get the rear centered, and get rid of any rubbing issues you should be alright.

Anyways, what I did was make a visual check after I lowered my car just to make sure there wasn't any serious issues. Then I took my car out on the road and took some hard corners. Then brought the car back and removed the rear wheels. Where ever there was rubbing I pounded a bit more. It was pretty much a trial and error type system.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:35 PM

Re: Lowering 1" on aftermarket wheels/tires

Well my cars rear seems to be pretty damn straight right now. Both sides needed hammered out in the same spot the same depth, so thats a good sign if you ask me. What I did initially was just run my hand on the backside of the tire while it was mounted, and anywhere on the backside of the tire I couldn't slide my hand/fingers/knuckles thru, I hammered in :P