Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

lowering...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 03:24 AM

lowering...

In Dec. I MIGHT do some suspension stuff to my car, and was wondering if there is a kit for a 1" drop. I DON'T want to go any lower cuz I have ground effect and my exhaust is pretty low and I'll be putting in 17x11's in the back next year. Can I just change the shocks OR springs, or do I have to do them both?

-Jeff
Old 09-27-2004, 10:59 AM

Re: lowering...

#1 thing to realize is that the amount of lowering is always an approximate number. When someone says 1", it'll be around 1" lower (could be exactly), but it's not always the case on every car.

#2 there are ways to lower the car some. There are some springs that would lower you that claimed 1", there are even ways to lower the car by using the stock springs too. Make sure you know your options. 1" could even be too much with ground effects on the car depending on a number of things.

#3 you never have to install new shocks with springs. BUT, considering the stock shocks are complete pieces of crap it's crazy not too. The shocks should be changed to better units even if you DON'T lower the car. So you don't need to change them...... you *have* to change them if you want the car to ride decently, handle correctly, and not be dangerous at the limit.

#4, and this one of the big option I try and get folks to consider. Run the Koni shocks on the car with stock springs. This makes the car sit like a Level 1 car (about 3/4" lower in front, 1/2" in the back) with stock springs AND gets you the best shock you could hope to install on the car. You kill two birds with one stone, you have shocks that will handle anything you can dish out to them, the cost isn't really much different than cheaper less capable shocks with a set of springs either. And you get adjustable damping to tune/change the attitude of the car with as well.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:42 PM

I know for sure Hotchkis and BMR advertise 1", I think Mac might be 1" also. I just bought some Hotchkis springs off Ebay, can't wait to get them on. In addition, if you look on Shox.com, Bilstein has a matched set of shocks and springs that advertise a 1" drop.

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxsho...ctsdisplay.php

You must look up Chevrolet Camaro to get there, I can't direct link.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:45 PM

Do know also that doing this will make your ride more uncomfortable and could make your car more prone to breaking.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 9T7 Trans Am
I know for sure Hotchkis and BMR advertise 1", I think Mac might be 1" also. I just bought some Hotchkis springs off Ebay, can't wait to get them on. In addition, if you look on Shox.com, Bilstein has a matched set of shocks and springs that advertise a 1" drop.

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxsho...ctsdisplay.php

You must look up Chevrolet Camaro to get there, I can't direct link.
Right, and I can tell you right now the Bilstein BTS kit lowers the car way more than 1". Just an example of what I was speaking of. Hotchkis is my choice if I *have* to get someone 1" lowering springs, but still aren't my optimal choice because of the widely progressive spring rates. Shocks are spring dampers. If the rate is changing the shocks have no way of knowing that which means at some point the valving isn't absolutely correct for the spring rate..........

It's about a lot more than just lowering the car X amount. Suspension probably more than any other thing is a big series of if/thens. Why? Because EVERYTHING in the suspension moves when you drive down the road. And there is a lot of overlap between components. Swaybars and springs will both limit roll, but bars are more effective at it and don't hurt ride as much. Springs can lower the car where bars don't, and need to be damped by shocks where bars don't. Good shocks will make the car transition much sharper, so will bars and springs, but the shocks don't alter the mechanical grip either like the springs and swaybars do. And it goes on, and on......