Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Lowering + Alignment??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Thumbs down Lowering + Alignment??

Ever since I lowered my car, my alignment is off. I have had an alignment and the front end is straight; everthing lines up fine. But it still pulls to the right. I have been told that the rear end may be causing this from being lowered. I still have the stock pan hard and lower control arms in the stock location. Mod wise I have the Eibach Pro kit, bmr subframe connectors and stb.

If anything what in the rear end would most likely cause an alignment issue?

TIA
Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Re: Lowering + Alignment??

Originally Posted by Tibbys96Z
Ever since I lowered my car, my alignment is off. I have had an alignment and the front end is straight; everthing lines up fine. But it still pulls to the right. I have been told that the rear end may be causing this from being lowered. I still have the stock pan hard and lower control arms in the stock location. Mod wise I have the Eibach Pro kit, bmr subframe connectors and stb.

If anything what in the rear end would most likely cause an alignment issue?

TIA

Kneel down behind your car you'll notice your rear is shifted to the right a little. This could be your culprit. Just replace your stock phb with an adjustable one.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM

That should have nothing to do with it. My car is lowered with the stock panhard rod and torque arm still. Whoever did the alignment did not do it correctly.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeSkinner28
That should have nothing to do with it. My car is lowered with the stock panhard rod and torque arm still. Whoever did the alignment did not do it correctly.
Yeah i figured, im shooting in the dark.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:48 PM

yea, like what Bawls said..some people have probs but if the rear is shifted to one side, you wanna get an adjustable panhard. Spohn and BMR make adjustables that I can think off the top of my head. You might see a noticeable rubbing on the inner wheel wells in the rear if thats the case. Also, when you get your car aligned..you might wanna have a certain alignment spec done when it comes to picking a certain degree. Some shops may not realize that a lowered car may want a certain degree done and they just throw stock specs at it. I'm actually looking into what a good spec is in the cast and camber since I seem to have screwed up on my last alignment. My front tires are messed up and it pulls to the right slightly. Tire pressure may have to blame as well so check that and make sure they are even and might wanna keep them a lil lower than 28lbs and no more than 30....I'm still messing with getting the correct pressure down for a good handle and finding a good alingment spec....man, is this car a can of worms..fun huh.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 PM

Check out this search ...Here

Some stuff I found in the search....just to paste a few...

*Eibach
Caster (deg) left +4
Caster (deg) right +4
Camber (deg) left -.8
Camber (deg) right -.8
Toe (in) 0

-----

rag joint in the steering colum. Most of these 93-97 cars have excessive play since the rag joint wears out. If it is that then you will not be able to align the car. these guys http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/ sell a metal insert that will elim all play in the steering colum. do a search for rag joint and you will see more info about.

-----
Alignment Page

----
Old 01-20-2005, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the advice.
I know this is from being lowered. I never had any problems with alignments until then. I will try the adj pan hard first and the rag joint replacement (my steering is getting sloppy). Thanks again for the links!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:57 AM

How many miles are on the frontend? Check bushings, lower a-arm, ball joint, tie rod. Just general stuff as well could.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

This should have been posted on the "Suspension.... " forum, not on "LT1 Engine Tech".
Old 01-20-2005, 10:30 AM

I have my camber set to -1.2* on both sides and they squared everything else up the best they could. My alignment is dead on and tire wear is even across.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Compstall
I have my camber set to -1.2* on both sides and they squared everything else up the best they could. My alignment is dead on and tire wear is even across.
What springs do you have?

I have new (about 1,000 miles now) inner and outer tie rods, and the joints looked good at the time.

Last edited by Tibbys96Z; 01-20-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:37 PM

Suspension Techniques