Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Lowering question

I want to lower My car.I was going to go with Eibach Sportline springs and Blisten HD's.The car is a convertable and I was just told I can only lower it 1.3 in.(Will this be a noticeable differance?)and that it has struts up front.What do I do?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Re: Lowering question

There are no struts on the front of a 4th Gen convertible. The 'verts use the same unequal A-arm, coil-over-shock style suspension that the coupes use.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 AM

If thats the case, and I'm sure You'r wright, what equipment do I get to lower MY car the max that I can?There is a large gap beteen the wheel and the top of the wheel well.Thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 PM

The lowering springs will lower the car. 1.3" will be noticeable. More than that will cause you to have to be very careful of what you drive over or what driveways or speed bumps you can traverse.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Bilstein HD's are NOT designed for use with lowered springs.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:29 PM

Whats good shocks for a lowered car? My vert was dropped 1.5" and I've seen them as low as 2". At 1.5" I scraped on pretty much everything, had to be cautious of all speedbumps and had to dodge potholes like the plague. But damn, it looks good enough to make it all worth it.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:24 AM

I used to have intrax lowering springs which i am trying to sell, those gave me like a 2" drop but i hit and scraped on alot of things, so chose carefully, if u live in a flat area go for it, but if u gatta worry bout speed bumbs and sharp hills on turns and crap, forget it, i wouldn't go lower then 1.5. With those intrax springs i had like no gap between wheels and tires with 45/R17" size
Old 03-09-2006, 08:17 AM

I got a set of Spohn revalved Bilsteins... very nice parts although they're set up for the Eibach pro's not sportlines (which really aren't 'handling' springs).
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 PM

I absolutely love the look of my Intrax 2" front / 1.8" rear drop. The tires tuck up flush with the wheel wells. However, the Y-pipe and cutout by the axle both scrape on everything. Even the smallest speed bumps cause scraping. Plus, any moderate bump in the road caused my rear to hit the bump stops.

If you want the look, Intrax can't be beat. If you want drivability and/or performance, look into something else. Personally, I'm pulling my Intrax springs out Friday night. Hotchkis 1" drop springs and KYB AGX adjustable shocks are going in.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:17 PM

I am using BMR springs and re-valved Bilstiens from www.Stanoparts.com.

The BMR springs lower the car a little over an inch, just perfect imo, and very noticable.

If you decide to go with revalved bilstiens, they are custom valved for compression and rebound, depending on what springs you are using so the shocks compliment your choice of springs.

Springs are up to you, but i strongly advise you to get custom valved shocks, the price aint much more than bilstien HD's, and you will get a much better ride quality.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by cabe_z28
I am using BMR springs and re-valved Bilstiens from www.Stanoparts.com.

The BMR springs lower the car a little over an inch, just perfect imo, and very noticable.

If you decide to go with revalved bilstiens, they are custom valved for compression and rebound, depending on what springs you are using so the shocks compliment your choice of springs.

Springs are up to you, but i strongly advise you to get custom valved shocks, the price aint much more than bilstien HD's, and you will get a much better ride quality.
Yea... that's who I meant (for the revalved Bilstiens)... for some reason I'm always mixing up Strano and Spohn, probably because they're both odd S names.