Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

LS1 brake upgrade...$150

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:29 PM

LS1 brake upgrade...$150

this is what i was quoted for a local whole kit...inclucding spindle, caliper, rotor, for both fronts and the sensors, is that all i need?.....he will guarntee that they are not bent or i can exchange them...and there local so no shippng...is this a good deal or too much for them????..btw i have to take them off

also ppl has told me to get new brake lines......i do know that my stockers are not long enough is one reason but why new ones.....WHY can't i use the rubber lines that come with the calipers that i get off the salavage car??? and just connect them to my old metal lines already on my LT1

please specify what lines i need all the way to the master cyclinder or just the rubber or what b/c i called autozone and they can't even get them for the front for some reason just the back AND they said there was an inner and outer which are like 25 for inner and 35 for outter....i'm confused on what to get and i'm aiming to do it while i'm off in the next couple of days

thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 12:16 AM

Re: LS1 brake upgrade...$150

Make sure you're getting the pad abutment bracket and all the hardware as well from each side. The only thing you'll be taking off the spindle is the wheel bearing assembly. I'm not sure on line compatability, but if it were me I'd be getting new front lines regardless. and I mean just the rubber section.

I'd also recommend getting the rotors turned to make sure they're true, and using new pads. Some people say they needed to have the car aligned after the swap as well. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:15 PM

That is what I paid for mine. I used the LS1 rubber line. I used the bracket that attaches to the frame from the LS1 car and bent my hard lines to fit. This puts the LS1 rubber line in the same place as stock but takes some pretty radical bending of the LT1 hard line. It has worked fine for me. Some people use the LT1 rubber line and bend the LT1 bracket down to get more slack in the line. If you use the LT1 lines I think you need to use the LS1 banjo bolt.

I would unbolt the spindle at the ball joints and tie rod end and take everything attached to the spindle. Get the bracket that holds the rubber line at the frame where it attaches to the hard line. If the brake pads and rotor look okay I would just bolt it on and try it. It's easy to take the rotor off later and get it turned if it is warped.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 PM

If you do decide to get different lines...like a stainless line. Just get the LS1 lines. The rear LS1 lines will fit just fine on the LT1 rear calipers.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:59 PM

I used my LT1 brake hose and modified the stock bracket to reach.

Since your pulling the parts your self. I would just get the LS1 brake line and the bracket that holds it and rebend your LT1 hard brake line to work. Your gonna have to bend your line either way and this way will give you a better fit.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:27 PM

so how do you manage to bend the metal lines on my car and not kink or mess up the flow of fluid going through the line