Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

LS1 front brakes on LT1 - brake hose issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 AM

LS1 front brakes on LT1 - brake hose issues

From what I've read (which I didn't notice until after the brakes are on the car and my new StopTech SS hoses for an LS1 car won't reach) you have to do some bending of the brackets and hard lines on the k-member in order for the swap to work. I was under the impression before I started this job that bending of the hard lines was only necessary if you used the LT1 hoses.

If you have pictures of what you did with your brake hoses/lines for the LS1 swap, please post.

I just want to see what everyone did before I gave up on these StopTech lines and went to Charlotte to get some new rubber hoses made that will actually reach without mangling the car.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:27 AM

I was going to post a picture of my StopTech hose, but I don't have any place to host pictures anymore. Anyways, it's just a straight hose with a banjo fitting on one end and an inverted flare on the other.

From the pictures I've seen, a factory LS1 rubber hose has a 90 degree elbow where it attaches to the caliper and some aftermarket ones (such as the ones from www.hotpart.com that I should have bought) are the same way.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 PM

get a big pliers and carefully bend the LT1 plate down. slowly and probably not all the way down. have someone test the steering lock to lock. it should be fine
Old 12-28-2007, 07:54 PM

but, you have to consider the full travel of the suspension too, so let the suspension all the way down and turn it too...

I wish someone would make brake hoses to work with our system... Using LS1 front brakes on an LS1. I hate "riggin" my car, but I had to bend the brackets too to make them work...
Old 12-29-2007, 03:36 AM

I just went to the local hose and hydraulic shop (Royal Brass and Hose) and had some hoses made that were 2.5" longer than the stock LT1 hoses. They cleared up my issue with tight hoses throughout the travel. They aren't stainless, but it'll get the job done. I'd rather have rubber hoses than sketchy stainless ones rigged to work.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:13 PM

how much did that cost?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM

They were $26 for the pair. Actually ended up being $46 because I screwed up and told the fellow there the hard line connection end of the hose needed to be inverted flare and not drill point, so I had to drive back down there after hours and pay him for staying late for me. But that's another story.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 PM

Does everyone that does this install just bend their hard lines and pray they don't kink?
I have seen that Kore3 makes lines for the C5 conversion and that they can make custom ones for you.

For those who have bent their hard lines, do you have any pictures you could post?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:10 PM

I have an old note saying to use GM part 10333772 for the front brake hose. IIRC, I read once that a particular hose worked without having to do any bending or modification. My note does not say the part number above is that one, but it might be. I wish my note was better and no, I have not done this conversion, myself. I am only hoping that this info I have is what is needed.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM

i did not bend the hard line. I used the LT1 hose, and bent the bracket that holds the hose to the body.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:26 AM

firebird - If you bent the bracket that holds the hose to the frame, does that not also bend the hard line?

shoebox - Thanks for that part number. If I get bored one day, I may try ordering one of those hoses you mentioned to see if it is "the one" as your notes may say.

If I get the urge to spend more money on the car, I'll probably go the stainless line route from Kore3 or another vendor if I change the brake lines again.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by MadaSnik84
firebird - If you bent the bracket that holds the hose to the frame, does that not also bend the hard line?

shoebox - Thanks for that part number. If I get bored one day, I may try ordering one of those hoses you mentioned to see if it is "the one" as your notes may say.

If I get the urge to spend more money on the car, I'll probably go the stainless line route from Kore3 or another vendor if I change the brake lines again.
The hose I mentioned is shown as the hose that is used for the C5 brake conversion, as well. Maybe someone else will chime in with some verification of its use with the LS1 conversion.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:03 PM

well, I guess it did move it a bit, but I didn't really bend it. It more like just moved positions... Get what I am saying?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 AM

When we did the Conversion on my friends 97 Z28 all we did is bend the bracket as well. It doesn't really bend the line, just moves it to a more conforming position and he never had any problems.

Last edited by JohnnyFormula; 12-27-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Signature
Old 12-27-2008, 03:19 PM

For those interested:
(The following is for the upgrade to the C5 Vette fronts on a 95 Camaro which I think makes the brake line distance even a little greater than the LS1 front conversion ... hope this is useful)

As I recall, the Russell LS1 front hoses (from their 5 line set) were a few inches longer in total length but the flex part is actually an inch or two shorter than the LT1 lines. I had to twist the hard part ~90° and down slightly to point it towards the frame mount. I bent the frame bracket down ~50° from the horizontal to point it towards where the flex hose begins at the hard line on the caliper. The frame brake hard line only needed a small adjustment to keep it square to the bracket so I could couple it to the flex line and use the factory spring clips to lock the lines into the frame bracket. Since it was on jackstands it was easy to check the fit lock to lock. I originally wanted SS flex lines for the Corvette as it was said they are longer than the LS1 lines but since I wanted to do all the lines I needed the 3 rear lines but couldn't find an SS set available separately. I bent the first line with a vise and an oversized tubing bender (3/8"? because the line swages, etc mean the "right sized" bender won't work) I did the second line by hand with the caliper mounted and it was easier and came out looking cleaner. Just exert slow, even pressure and the lines will not kink or crease.
Good Luck ... when you're done, you'll like the results!