Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

LT1 to LS1 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 03:17 PM

LT1 to LS1 brakes

I searched (still searching) for whats all needed to do the swap. Im getting the complete LS1 front brakes from a part car, what all do I need to do the swap to my 1994?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 PM

Re: LT1 to LS1 brakes

I just did this swap this week.

You need the LS1 spindles assemblies, calipers, and rotors. If you find a donor car, disconnect the brake line and then pull the spindle, you will have everything you need to install the brakes on your car.

You can resuse your LT1 brake lines by modifying the brackets, or you can swap to LS1 brake lines. The choice is yours.

This site has a list.
http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=30
Old 01-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Steve0
I just did this swap this week.

You need the LS1 spindles assemblies, calipers, and rotors. If you find a donor car, disconnect the brake line and then pull the spindle, you will have everything you need to install the brakes on your car.

You can resuse your LT1 brake lines by modifying the brackets, or you can swap to LS1 brake lines. The choice is yours.

This site has a list.
http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=30
Can I re-use the cotter pins, Upper Ball Joint (x2), and Lower Ball Joint (x2) from my LT1?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:35 PM

Also, is it worth getting the rear LS1 brakes as well?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Can I re-use the cotter pins, Upper Ball Joint (x2), and Lower Ball Joint (x2) from my LT1?
Yes you can re-use your ball joints. Just be very careful when disassembling the car that you do not damage the threads on either ball joint.

If you did want to replace them, you could... the tops are rivited in so they're not bad at all. The bottoms however are pressed in.

I reused a few of the cotter pins, but some were so mangled I replaced them. You can get a pack of brand new ones from any auto store for ~$2.

Lastly, I wouldnt bother with the LS1 rear brakes. Most of your cars braking is done with the front brakes, hence why they are larger. You'll notice much better braking and pedal feel with the LS1 set up. Though I'm sure its been done, I have yet to read about anyone converting the rear brakes on a LT1.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Steve0
Yes you can re-use your ball joints. Just be very careful when disassembling the car that you do not damage the threads on either ball joint.

If you did want to replace them, you could... the tops are rivited in so they're not bad at all. The bottoms however are pressed in.

I reused a few of the cotter pins, but some were so mangled I replaced them. You can get a pack of brand new ones from any auto store for ~$2.

Lastly, I wouldnt bother with the LS1 rear brakes. Most of your cars braking is done with the front brakes, hence why they are larger. You'll notice much better braking and pedal feel with the LS1 set up. Though I'm sure its been done, I have yet to read about anyone converting the rear brakes on a LT1.
Thanks for the great info and quick response. You saved me alot of money. Just paid for the fronts only