Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Lt1 to Ls1 front brake pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:10 PM

Lt1 to Ls1 front brake pics

I see alot of posts where people are having trouble with the brake lines and brackets on an LS1 front brake swap. For me they just kinda fell in place, so I figured I could pass on what I did. If you have any questions or need better pics I'll be happy to show you exacly how I did it, just ask.

The set I got included the steering knuckles, the spindles(bearings/ABS), rotors, pads, calipers, brackets, flex lines, and the line brackets. That's everything you need. The actual swap is straight forward, take the old off, put the new on. I think the problem everyone is having is routing the flex lines so they have plenty of slack and won't kink. The way I did it I used the LS1 flex lines and BOTH the LT1 and LS1 brackets, keep that in mind when your getting your parts. I simply piggy-backed the 2 brackets, and bolted them to the stock location, then very carefully bend the hard line so it's connected through the verticle LS1 bracket, the LT1 bracket is for the ABS wire. This puts the flex line in the factory location for an LS1, and the ABS wire in the factory LT1 location.

The pics are kinda ugly, it's been all sloppy here lately so the underside is coated in gravel and mag chloride. I tried to clarify what your lookin at on one of em and I made one showing the stock routing so you can see where I bent the hard line. The last one shows the caliper clearance on a 16" wheel, it's close but they don't touch, you don't need 17s.

The LT1 Routing

The New Routing

Clearance
Old 02-22-2006, 04:40 AM

Re: Lt1 to Ls1 front brake pics

How do they feel compared to the lt1 setup?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:00 AM

The LS1 brakes actually feel softer than the puny Lt1 brakes when you are pressing the pedal. The pedal feels like it has more travel then before.
I remember having to push the pedal very hard with the LT1 brakes to panic stop, but now I dont have to.
The braking power is much better with the bigger brakes.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:32 PM

I find my pedal to have a much much greater feel to it. The LT1 brakes just sucked, stopping and pedal feel. The LS1 brakes are a major inprovement all together. I can lock up the front tires now, as before it just stopped, slowly...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mustangmuncher
I find my pedal to have a much much greater feel to it. The LT1 brakes just sucked, stopping and pedal feel. The LS1 brakes are a major inprovement all together. I can lock up the front tires now, as before it just stopped, slowly...

Same here, they chirp just before the ABS kicks in. It was impossible to lock up my LT1 brakes especially with the wider tires. I remeber getting my LT1 brakes so hot on a country road they they were nearly at the point of not working and almost lost it in the curves. Scared the poo poo outa me.
The LS1's dont fade out anything like the dinky LT1 brakes.

I am still on the fence with putting the LS1 rears on. The only way I will do it is if I can get a really good price on the parts. I suspect the improvement in braking here is marginal at best.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:32 PM

My setup is a tad different, ill go and take some pictures. I used a stainless steel brake like kit from russel (for 98+ f-bodys) and modifyed the stock bracket to make everything fit.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:19 PM

Stock LT1 brake and line routing:

I used the "U" part of the bracket and drilled/ grinded it larger so it could hold the brake line. I also cut off the unused portion of the bracket.

Heres some other pictures of the rest of the brakes and stainless steel braided lines:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../brakes015.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../brakes010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../brakes011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../brakes009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../brakes008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../brakes007.jpg
Old 02-23-2006, 03:41 PM

What's the link to where you got the lines and what mods did you do to make them work right and why?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:32 PM

The line kit I ordered through an auto parts store locally. I have Russell (made by edelbrock) lines but im sure Earls are the same. I didn’t have to do anything to make them fit, just replace the rubber lines with the stainless steel ones, the 98+ brake kit fits the fronts and rears perfectly. Its supposed to make the pedal feel more responsive by eliminating the expansion of the rubber lines when braking. I haven’t tried it out yet, it will be another month until all the snow is off the ground and i can test things out.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:54 PM

Those look nice. I was gonna do an ls1 brakes swap, but eventually I ended up getting an entire ls1 car