Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Manual Rack & Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 01:13 PM

Manual Rack & Pinion

Been Looking at K-memeber and they have the mounts for Rack & Pinion for Mustang II.. anyone running this? Is it hard to turn your wheels without power assist? It would lose some weight for sure, and save on belt assc. drive loss.. but can I turn 245/17's easily? Looking for info, pics, what I will need to adapt to my original steering column, what's a quick ratio box off of a IROC Z worth? selling it could help pay for the rack and pinion.. Flamming river or summit rack and pinion? the summit one is a lifetime warrantied part...?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:32 PM

Re: Manual Rack & Pinion

I have the BMR K-member with the Pinto Rack N Pinion Mounts.. I haven't gotten it put together yet so I can say if its easy to turn in a f-body or not. I have driven a few mustangs with manual racks and its a breeze in them. One has 15x3 skinnies on the front and the other has 17x8 pro star xp's with 245/17's on it and its not that bad at all and its just got a stock manual rack from a 79 stang in it. The flaming river and the summit racks have a better steering ratio which makes it easier to turn without power assist.

I bought the flaming river rack for mine. Its only like $25 bucks more than the Summit rack so I just figured what the hell I might as well get the best one they make! I'm sure the flaming river rack has a good warranty on it as well.

I also need to know what kind of piece I will need to adapt my rack to my factory steering column. I know flaming river makes the stuff I need but I just haven't gotten around to calling them. I've seen the ones they make for 3rd gen's and I think they run a little under $100. But, I'm not really that sure..
Old 09-24-2004, 11:28 AM

I was goingt o pick the summit one cause it's only a 3.75 turn where as the flamming river unit is 4.00 turns.. that and the summit one boasts a lifetime warranty... But I didnt' know if I could turn my 245/17's easily or not.. Don't want to fight it to drive...
Old 09-24-2004, 06:33 PM

Only time it might be a little stiff to turn would be at a dead stop. Once you are rolling its nothing. I actually like manual steering more than power steering because you feel like you are more in control. Yes it is a little more rigid, but I like it. I had no problems with the manual rack in the mustang with the 245/17's. His rack is just an autozone piece of junk with no upgrade in the steering and it still turns fine in my opinion.

SURELY someone else on here has experienced a manual rack before!?