Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Manual Steering for 3rd gen - Who makes a kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 06:49 PM

Manual Steering for 3rd gen - Who makes a kit?

I've spent the last hour looking thru posts trying to search this board for someone who has asked this before, but the only posts i am finding is either for 4th gens or people saying "stick with power steering".... so i'll ask it again in hopes for a straight forward response

I have an 84 Z28 drag car with a tubular K member from Pro-Fab, I have a stock steering column, and no special mounting tabs on my K member. Does anyone know a company that sells a COMPLETE kit to do a 3rd gen manual steering conversion, containing every part I need to adapt the stock column to a new rack, that does NOT require any modifications or brackets on the K member? Direct bolt in kit specifically for a 3rd gen? I've looked at the AJE website but they have pretty much NO information on their site in regards to steering kits, they have a Rack & Pinion kit for 3rd gens, but it doesnt say what it includes, what else i might need, wether i need special mounting tabs on my K member, etc. I've sent them an email asking for details, but if someone here has experience with this id appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:29 AM

Re: Manual Steering for 3rd gen - Who makes a kit?

Man I have the same question. I have been looking for days and can't figure this thing out. I want any rack and pinion steering. Power or non for my third gen. I too have a pro-fab kmember and there are no tabs. I am considering buying a rack off ebay from a 4th gen and fabricating tabs, and welding them on. If you have any info on this subject at all, please fill me in. Thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 11:42 AM

Spoke to AJE this morning (www.AJERacing.com) and they said their $530 rack n pinion kit will work, but you need to mount tabs on the k member, or buy their k member that is already designed for the rack n pinion. apparently their k member designed for the rack n pinion not only has the tabs, but is about 3" further forward giving "full oil pan access" - I thought the pro fab k member had amazing oil pan access already, hehe. But yeah I'm not screwing up my fancy translucent red powdercoat by welding **** on the k member n I'm not buying a new k member cuz i haven't even had the car running with the pro fab one yet!! I found a website that has a manual conversion for 3rd gens that seemed to sound like they replace the stock PS box with a manual box and have a half rag joint and a new pitman arm to connect it to the stock steering system, but its yet another site with no details about the kit whatsoever.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Yeah, I think I am going to try to learn about the clamping style manual rack. They have a pic that looks like they are only using one clamp. Looks a bit unstable, I would feel better using two clamps. Anyways I also saw clamps for sale for this kind of set up at Pa Racing.com . Check them out and tell me what you think. Also where did you find info in the manual steering box?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:30 AM

A manual box from an s-10 bolts right in.