Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Manual Steering Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 06:07 PM

Manual Steering Conversion

Ok I'm lookin to convert to a manual steering system. How much am I looking to spend? How much does it change the daily driving characteristics? How hard is it to do, an easy weekend job? Any info quickly would be good, I need to decide on buying a new poewr pump or converting
Old 06-29-2004, 09:37 PM

Re: Manual Steering Conversion

Originally posted by WhtLT1
Ok I'm lookin to convert to a manual steering system. How much am I looking to spend? How much does it change the daily driving characteristics? How hard is it to do, an easy weekend job? Any info quickly would be good, I need to decide on buying a new poewr pump or converting
I guess the first question is WHY?

And if you're really serious about it, you're looking at finding someone that makes a custom manual rack and then retro-fitting it into the front suspension. All of this is not exactly backyard shade-tree mechanic stuff, it requires careful engineering of the steering unit and all its related components to get it right. And expense.......you're looking at custom-made parts and fabrication to do such a conversion.

So, once again, why in the world would you want to 86 the power steering system? If it's for more power, consider the fact that in a straight line the pump is doing almost no work and therefore not draining any power from your motor. All you're really going to accomplish is making the car much harder to drive on the street.

I autocross my car, and the only problem I've had is blowing up one P/S pump, but putting a cooler in the return line and running good synthetic fluid has solved my problems, if you're just street driving the car, the cooler is probably not necessary, but good fresh fluid (I think the synthetic stuff is far superior) is certainly a good idea.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:00 AM

You will have to do alot of mods to the rack and or k-member if you stick with the factory k-member. I purchaced a BMR tubular k-member set up for a pinto rack and pinion. I bought the rack from jegs and a install kit, tie rod ends and steering knuckle from applied racing.As far as a reason to remove the power steering for me was for space. I deleated my A/C ,power steering and relocated my alternator to the bottom to make room for my twin turbos. cost was around $600 for me
Old 07-01-2004, 02:06 PM

I got a Madman/Flaming River setup and had it on in about 3 hours. You will need to drill out the holes on the spindles (not a big deal), but the Madman setup bolted right into stock mounts on my BMR K-member. Probably the hardest part was replacing the sector shaft.

As for weight savings, the power steering pump, lines, fluid and resevoir are all tossed. There is some weight savings with the rack itself, but I think most of that is negated w/ the bump steer kit that must be added. The manual setup turns MUCH easier than a looped or bypassed power setup. I think the ratio is like 18:1 for the manny rack, whereas the stock power rack is like 12:1.