Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Master Cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 PM

Master Cylinder replacement

Has somebody here replaced his brake master cylynder with an aftermarket unit?
I am looking for a source for one with a smaller piston diameter to increase my brake pressure.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Re: Master Cylinder replacement

While I'm by no means an expert in fluid dynamics it would make sense to me that a smaller master cylinder piston would create less braking pressure. If you have a piston pushing a smaller volume of fluid through the same opening at the same rate of pedal compression it would make sense that there would be less pressure.

And for what it's worth, I have never seen an upgraded master cylinder for our cars.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Has somebody here replaced his brake master cylynder with an aftermarket unit?
I am looking for a source for one with a smaller piston diameter to increase my brake pressure.
Restriction makes pressure...smaller orifices or higher volume. The question I have is why do you want more pressure? This can lead to additional problems like over working your stock brake hoses past burst pressure. If your pedal is soft, work toward finding the solution to that (it could be sucking air at the calipers, you could have a master cylinder FAILURE, 4 wheel disk? if not you could have a wheel cylinder going bad) etc.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM

I lost a ton of vacuum after doing the LS7 swap. My engine idles at 65 KPA (still working on the tune). I was looking for a means to make up for that disadvantage. Spoke to a tech at Wilwood (they do have smaller and bigger masters) but he talked me out of it. He recommended changing over to manual brakes (getting rid of the booster) with a pedal ratio of 1:6 instead.

I decided to wait before changing over to manual brakes and see if I can obtain a better vacuum with tuning instead.

I already have LS1 brakes. considering C5 rotors as an upgrade too.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Wow, good luck and keep us posted! Sounds like its going to be an exceptional ride when all is said and done!

Charlie