Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

May want to avoid,,,

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
MLL

Unhappy UPDATE!!! May want to avoid,,,

Edit: Well just noticed they are a sponsor, so I have to wonder if this post will stay.

If you're going to do any rebuild of your front suspension you may want to avoid Performance Suspension Technology. Back in '99 I bought a Polygraphite Super Kit for my '67 Camaro. A few years ago I had to replace the drivers outer tie-rod end because it had a huge amount of play in it. Well my drivers front tire was wearing bad in the inside and a tire shop had told me the camber was wacked on that side. I just got back from the best frame and alignment shop in Indiana (Northwest Frame and Alignment), been a customer since the late '70's. Camber problem was excessive wear on the upper ball joint drivers side, passenger side upper ball joint also has slack/wear but not as bad, and control arm bushings had elongated and will need to be replaced. Also the passenger side outer tie rod had an unbelievable amount of play/wear on it. No wonder it wandered all over the road!!! All this after 24K easy cruising miles in 12 years. Suspension was properly lubed each year, so the only explanation I can come up with is it is poor quality stuff that won't last. There is NO WAY it should be that bad after that amount of miles. Looks like I've got a project for the winter. They have a "Lifetime Limited Warranty" whatever the heck that means, but even if they did replace the stuff I sure don't want to have to redo it again after 20K miles or so.

Last edited by MLL; 04-09-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Re: May want to avoid,,,

Why are you suggesting that we might delete the post? No need to make assumptions like that.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 AM
MLL

Sorry, there are some other camaro forums I frequent where critizing a sponsor will get a post deleted. My apologies!

Oh yeah, the frame shop did mentioned that one of my lower ball joints might have some excessive wear as well, but will all the slack in the uppers he couldn't tell for sure. I'll have to look into that when I tear it apart to replace the uppers/bushings.

Last edited by MLL; 09-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Well there is a difference between a proper respectful critique of a company, and an all out drag through the mud unfair review.

Curious to hear how you make out with the warranty. Hopefully they will work with you and make it right.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 AM
MLL

I did call out of curiosity, sales guy connected me to customer service, rang a bunch of times and then went to voice mail, didn't leave message. I really don't have plans to try and call again since I no longer have any trust in the quality of their stuff. Fool me once,,,

Edit, since I didn't talk to customer service they may be more than accommodating and willing to replace the stuff. However in past experiences with LIMITED lifetime warranties I've found they usually aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Like I said my fear is it would go bad just a quickly as the first components.

Last edited by MLL; 09-12-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 AM

Thumbs down Re: May want to avoid,,,

I too had a unpleasant experience with this Company.
First the bracket that holds the sway bar bushing actually broke because of the cheap steel that was in making it.
There was a shortage of bushings that were sent to change over the front to all poly bushings. I was forced into buying another set to complete my changeover.
Its sad that we, the unsuspecting purchaser of these, supposedly, performance parts, are getting ripped off.
Ted Platt Wallingford, Connecticut
Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM
MLL

You know I check this thread every now and then, thinking that since they were a supporting vendor here someone representing them might make some sort of comment to my post. Well I now see they are no longer on the supporting vendor list.
Interesting,,,
Old 10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
jmd

Sometimes having a car that requires service expenses every 150k is more desirable than one w/ a lifetime warranty on parts that last 75k.

In short: They probably weren't Moog balljoints or tierods in your order.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 AM

plattted:

"I too had a unpleasant experience with this Company.
First the bracket that holds the sway bar bushing actually broke because of the cheap steel that was in making it."

I had the bracket problem with the Energy Suspension Polyurethane 32mm front bar bushing kit. One cracked completely and the other about halfway. I then found that EG offered Polyurethane bushing that reused the original hefty factory brackets. No further problems.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM
MLL

Originally Posted by jmd
Sometimes having a car that requires service expenses every 150k is more desirable than one w/ a lifetime warranty on parts that last 75k.

In short: They probably weren't Moog balljoints or tierods in your order.
No I'm sure they weren't, since they lasted less than 25K miles.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 AM
MLL

Well finally had time to tear into the suspension. The upper ball joints were just about as tight and fresh as the day I put them on. Also had a big "Made in the USA" stamp on them. One side I had apparently not gotten the upper spindle castle nut tight enough making the frame guy think the slop was in the ball joint. Lowers were OK as well.
So my problems were the polygraphite upper A-arm bushings were shot causing my alignment issues and both outer tie-rod ends failed pretty early. But the ball joints are apparently high quality.
In that respect my apologies to P.S.T.

Also I did call and they stated that no matter when I bought them if I had the original invoice, if I were to send in the parts for analysis with an invoice copy if they were found to be defective they would be replaced at no charge.
My frame guy says the polygraphite bushing don't have the longevity of the quality rubber ones, so I opted to just spend $24 on some MOOG rubber bushings instead.

Last edited by MLL; 04-09-2012 at 06:38 AM.