Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Messed up ride height only on one side....???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 10:04 AM

Messed up ride height only on one side....???

It has been like this before and after the wreck so its not the frame I dont think. Basically the passenger side looks like a 1" drop should, pretty even with the right amount of space between the tire and fenders, now on the drivers the rear looks like its stock height and the front looks like its slammed like nearly a 2" drop. It has hotchkis springs, de carbon shocks, BMR sway bars and a few other suspension mods that really wouldnt have anythign to do with ride height issues. The reason I mentioned sway bars is because possibly one or both are out of memory and constantly twisting the car like that? Or a bad front shock and missmounted rear spring? otherwise I have no clue what is wrong. Appreciate all the help I can get
Old 10-26-2004, 10:51 PM

Re: Messed up ride height only on one side....???

I feel I didnt advertise strongly enough in my title...

Help anyone?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by lt4 fd
It has been like this before and after the wreck so its not the frame I dont think. Basically the passenger side looks like a 1" drop should, pretty even with the right amount of space between the tire and fenders, now on the drivers the rear looks like its stock height and the front looks like its slammed like nearly a 2" drop. It has hotchkis springs, de carbon shocks, BMR sway bars and a few other suspension mods that really wouldnt have anythign to do with ride height issues. The reason I mentioned sway bars is because possibly one or both are out of memory and constantly twisting the car like that? Or a bad front shock and missmounted rear spring? otherwise I have no clue what is wrong. Appreciate all the help I can get
It is unlikely that the shock is the problem. They don't really do anything unless the suspension is moving.

At rest with the car on level ground the sway bars don't do anything either. They only function when the tires move in opposite directions, such as one up and one down in a turn.

That leave springs, control arms, K-member, steering knuckle.

Measure the compressed height of the front springs when the car is on level ground, if you see a large difference, most likely the spring has taken a set or is mismatched. After a wreck they might have put an incorrect spring in one side or the aftermarket springs might be junk. Aftermarket doesn't mean good, it can, but remember who was putting a 3-36 warranty on the car. What kind of warranty does the aftermarket give?

The K-member could be bent on one side.

Steering knuckle could be bent.

SPring perch on the front shock could be damaged.

Either of the control arm could be bent.

You need a set of ramps and a tape measure. Look at everything and try to find something out of the ordinary. 2" you should be able to see.

Sway bars have no memory, if the bend is off side to side by enough it could put it in a bind. A normal undamaged sway bar would not affect the the ride height. Once again you gota look at it.

I am guessing that you don't feel very confident that you can spot this, if so you are going to need to find someone you can trust at a frame shop and have them check it out.

You might post your general location and see if any members know of a good shop in your area.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the advice, I have ls1 spindles on there now that repaced the bent lt1 and the ride height is the same. Control arms are good and k member is good too since I had a real good look doing the ls1 swap, however I will double check since I didnt really get at them with a tape measure. I will however measure the springs since as I remember even when they were first put on the car way back before any wrecks and my friend owned it they were off. Hopefully its as easy as springs, I was just wanting to find out what you told me, other things that it could possibly be. Thanks again!