Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Monroe Shocks/Struts...Need Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 PM

Smile Monroe Shocks/Struts...Need Advice.

Hey guys,

Im looking into new shocks and struts for my 96' v6. Ive been looking around monroe and im sure thats the brand i want to go with. I just need some advice as to what kind i should get. I occasionally carry people in the back and i dont want to bottom out (as i currently do with passsengers in the back) and as far as struts go i have no idea where to start. Also are new strut mounts a good idea, i dont belive my current ones are worn out. Any input will help thanks.

-Murphy
Old 08-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Re: Monroe Shocks/Struts...Need Advice.

Technically, the fronts are not "struts"..... they are coil-over shocks. The 3rd Gen's had a McPherson strut type front suspension, but the 4th Gens are unequal upper and lower A-arms.

The front upper spring/shock mounts should be replaced. If you are still running the original shocks from 1996, you may have to cut the upper nut off the shaft, and may damage the upper mounts. Plus the mounts dry rot and the center section that the shock shaft mounts in tears loose.

What are you after with regard to performance? I doubt the Monroes will provide anything other than "average" handling. You might want to look as the shocks available from this source:

http://www.stranoparts.com/
Old 08-27-2011, 03:43 PM

For the record I picked up a full set of Gabriel shocks for like $160 from autozone couple of weeks ago.

Is buy the mounts and return them if you don't need them. One of mine was good. Other was rusted and seized. I had to grind it off. Kind of a pain but got it off.

Mine were from a 2k in the south.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:36 AM

Thanks guys. Im trying to get this all sorted out before i venture into buying my new rims and tires (why bother with those first if my suspension is all original from 96). Pretty much im playing catch up, because who ever owned the car before me got rid of it once it started aging, so im trying to get most of these things fixed. Current shocks are on their last leg but their still doing the job, and im finally getting the funds together for all this equipment. Thanks for the link, defiantly will be checking out more from strano. Also with the rear shocks, should i also buy new springs along with new shocks?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by SPM81392
Thanks guys. Im trying to get this all sorted out before i venture into buying my new rims and tires (why bother with those first if my suspension is all original from 96). Pretty much im playing catch up, because who ever owned the car before me got rid of it once it started aging, so im trying to get most of these things fixed. Current shocks are on their last leg but their still doing the job, and im finally getting the funds together for all this equipment. Thanks for the link, defiantly will be checking out more from strano. Also with the rear shocks, should i also buy new springs along with new shocks?
Its up to you... the factory springs will be fine. If you want different srping rates and performance springs, then go fore it. But only do it if you are doing all 4.

I have a 2k, it was pretty much oil changes until I bought the car. I threw in an exedy clutch, flywheel, slave, did new shocks, now need brakes and pads.

Pain the ***, but I only have $2700 into it including price of car. I have gotten 8k miles out of it, and its only at around 115k.