Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Moog Tie Rod Ends - 95 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:01 PM

Moog Tie Rod Ends - 95 Z

Does anyone know if i need to get an alignment after installing moog tie Rod ends?
Also on https://www.rockauto.com/ they show an ACDelco outer tie rode and a moog one as well. Is there any difference between the two? The Acdelco is priced a bit more.

Last edited by TobyZ28; 03-22-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:50 PM

Re: Moog Tie Rod Ends - 95 Z

You should get an alignment to check your work, even if you measure the rod ends and try to get them as they were. I would think either tie rod end would be fine. I don't know of any difference, though most aftermarket ones have provisions for adding grease.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:43 PM

I replaced mine last fall because the rubber boots on mine had cracked. I used the Moog, and they had grease fittings in them. I paid $11.00 each for them.

Installing them was easy. I just knocked the old ends out of the spindles and then I backed the lock nut off 1/4 turn (be carefull not to let it turn any further than that for reference). I carefully unthreaded the old end, threaded the new one on to exactly the same position and then i tightened the locknut back 1/4 turn. Insert the end into the spindle, tighten the castle nut and insert the lock pin. done.

A test drive showed it still went strait as an arrow down the highway. I never bothered getting it alligned. If I notice any uneven wear on my tires I'll take it in for a checkup, but I doubt it will be an issue.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:42 PM

It would be smart idea to have it checked. Some places will check for free or 20.oo bucks. Because once your tires start to wear funny there junk cause you can't fix the tread. You should have it checked every couple years anyway.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
I replaced mine last fall because the rubber boots on mine had cracked. I used the Moog, and they had grease fittings in them. I paid $11.00 each for them.

Installing them was easy. I just knocked the old ends out of the spindles and then I backed the lock nut off 1/4 turn (be carefull not to let it turn any further than that for reference). I carefully unthreaded the old end, threaded the new one on to exactly the same position and then i tightened the locknut back 1/4 turn. Insert the end into the spindle, tighten the castle nut and insert the lock pin. done.

A test drive showed it still went strait as an arrow down the highway. I never bothered getting it alligned. If I notice any uneven wear on my tires I'll take it in for a checkup, but I doubt it will be an issue.
Where did you pay $11.00 for them?
Old 03-23-2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by RobbyRob
Where did you pay $11.00 for them?
Checker auto parts.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:51 PM

To do the job right you need an alignment. Just replaced mine with moog over the weekend, have not done alignment yet do to the fact that I still have bushings and ball joints to replace. You can get close by counting the turns from removing the old, and installing the new, we also used a tape measure before removing the old and verified it with the new installed. However it is not right, spend the money and have your car aligned. A tape measure is a very inaccurate measuring devise, good for rough work.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 PM

To the OP,

Anytime you change anything suspension related (other than prob rear shocks), you should have your alignment checked/adjusted.

Changing springs changes the entire suspension geometry, R&R of the front shocks/struts also change caster/camber I believe.

As for tierods, unless you can accurately measure center to center of the old, it is unlikely you'll get the new one to be the exact length.

And as pointed out above, you change check it at least every 2 years.. more often if you live in chicago (or any other area that has roads destoryed to crap).
Old 03-24-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
Checker auto parts.
They have the moog for 33.00 or something like that.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:45 PM

Counting the turns is the best way to get close to the original setup, however, adjustment is usually STILL NEEDED due to manufacturing differences. If you find a way to do it without having to check the alignment, let me know...i'll tell my family they've been running the business wrong for 85 years.