Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

my new brake pads wont fit!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
post in tech forums
Werd. Don't be cluttering up the lounge with this really easy to fix crap, that you should have a professional do.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Horne
Werd. Don't be cluttering up the lounge with this really easy to fix crap, that you should have a professional do.
what do you care? How am i ever gonna learn if i have a professional do this ****? This maybe easy to you but its not for someone whos never done it before. Theres alot of little details and things you always run into when working on cars and i havnt had much experience on everything yet so i dont know these things.

The purpose of this site is to help people not tell them to **** off and have a real mechanic do it. And dont give me **** about posting this thread in the lounge because YOU know it takes forever to get answers in the tech sections. This is my only car and i have **** to do and places to go so it cant be out of action for more than a short period of time.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM

jeff I'm not saying this to be mean, this is an honest question. Do you not have someone who can help you that has done this stuff before? A big part of working on cars is having a dad, uncle, buddy, shop teacher, whatever, who can let you know something is wrong so you don't **** stuff up.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by grossesexy
jeff I'm not saying this to be mean, this is an honest question. Do you not have someone who can help you that has done this stuff before? A big part of working on cars is having a dad, uncle, buddy, shop teacher, whatever, who can let you know something is wrong so you don't **** stuff up.
Chiltons is your friend. I did my first brake job at 17 by myself. Granted I suppose I probably helped/watched my dad once or twice.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
Chiltons is your friend. I did my first brake job at 17 by myself. Granted I suppose I probably helped/watched my dad once or twice.
Yea but it can be nice to have someone to help when you aren't sure and the books don't have a good illustration.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by grossesexy
no i dont. all i have is you guys and maybe my autoshop teacher but hes an asshat most of the time and sits in his office and plays on the computer. Plus, im out of school now and dont have access to the autoshop right now anyway. I have maybe one friend that is pretty knowledgeable about cars but it makes me look dumb if i just call him up to do it for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by jeffcamaro2007
no i dont. all i have is you guys and maybe my autoshop teacher but hes an asshat most of the time and sits in his office and plays on the computer. Plus, im out of school now and dont have access to the autoshop right now anyway. I have maybe one friend that is pretty knowledgeable about cars but it makes me look dumb if i just call him up to do it for me.
If you just tell him you want him to help you out if you get stuck he might understand.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 PM

well ive got 3 wheels done now. i tightened down the caliper bolts down and and i am still able to move the caliper side to side just a little bit. it takes some effort to move though. is this just because i compressed the pistons in the caliper all the way and once im all done and apply the brakes it will readjust itself?

on the passenger front wheel the caliper bracket bolt wont come off. me and 2 other friends where all pulling on it and it wont budge. i tried spraying so wd40 on it and that did nothing. no i dont have any rust penetrant.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:52 PM

big wrench and a pipe should do the trick
Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 PM

I see in the pics that both of those pads have the squeel tab on them. Do all of the pads you have have the tabs or did you load the other caliper with two pads without squeel tabs?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 PM

well ive got 3 wheels done now. i tightened down the caliper bolts down and and i am still able to move the caliper side to side just a little bit. it takes some effort to move though. is this just because i compressed the pistons in the caliper all the way and once im all done and apply the brakes it will readjust itself?
It is important that the caliper be able to slide on its sliders. Once you step on the brakes, it will center itself. DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKES UNTIL THE CAR IS REASSEMBLED! Or you will learn how to rebuild calipers and bleed brakes But be sure to 'pump up' the brakes prior to taking the car for a drive.

on the passenger front wheel the caliper bracket bolt wont come off. me and 2 other friends where all pulling on it and it wont budge. i tried spraying so wd40 on it and that did nothing. no i dont have any rust penetrant.
a good wrench + PB blaster + muscle. I've found my 3/4" socket set + reducer to be useful in such an instance
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 PM

If its rusty don't just go torquing on it with a big pipe, youll end up snapping it off. You will need a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster. Soak it a couple times giving it time to penetrate. Then, when you feel confident, put the six point wrench on there and hit it with a hammer. Its important when dealing with rust to try to break it up and not just torque. Then when you think youve broken up the rust give it some torque.

Or better yet, get an air compressor and a good impact gun.

I wouldnt even know how to work on a car without rust after living in the ****hole north.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by CatsTasteGood
I see in the pics that both of those pads have the squeel tab on them. Do all of the pads you have have the tabs or did you load the other caliper with two pads without squeel tabs?
i put the squeal tabs on the inside on each wheel. the 2 that dont have the squeal tabs i put on the outside.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:16 PM

Werd. Don't be cluttering up the lounge with this useless drivel.
Do all of your responses start with Werd?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by scottso
Do all of your responses start with Werd?
...Yes.

Quick Reply: my new brake pads wont fit!?