Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

my new brake pads wont fit!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM

I wish I was important enough to be able to start help threads in the forum constantly.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:08 PM

ok i have all the brakes done and i finally got lord boltomort loose. Now the driver rear brake seem to be rubbing or scraping when you turn the rotor. on all other wheels the rotor seems to spin a bit easier with little scrapping. Is this bad or another thing that will adjust itself when im all done and apply the brakes?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Ttt
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM

www.midas.com
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM
JAB

You probably just didn't have that piston pushed quite as far in so the pads are a little tighter.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Minor or major?

I know when I did my '96 I had to shim the caliper slightly (like 1/32") because of contact when I made turns. That was more of a faint squeel and was a known issue because of axle play - I think GM even makes shims for it.

But if you have major contact - something is wrong. You need to find out where it is occurring.

Edit:
Originally Posted by JAB
You probably just didn't have that piston pushed quite as far in so the pads are a little tighter.
Didn't even consider that. Maybe start her up and pump the brakes a couple of times to build pressure. Then compare them.

Last edited by scottso; 06-05-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
how am i supposed to get there if my car doesnt work???

Are you gonna help or just make smartass posts in everyone of my threads?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Are you going to post in the proper subforum or keep posting here?
Damn, better get out the aloe for that burn!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by scottso
Minor or major?

I know when I did my '96 I had to shim the caliper slightly (like 1/32") because of contact when I made turns. That was more of a faint squeel and was a known issue because of axle play - I think GM even make shims for it.

But if you have major contact - something is wrong. You need to find out where it is occurring.
well assuming that everything is the correct size will it all just adjust itself when i first apply the brakes? The contact doesnt seem major i can still spin the rotor fairly easily its just a little louder and makes more contact than the others. Im thinking the piston in that caliper came out slightly or something like that.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Are you going to post in the proper subforum or keep posting here?
do you know why i post tech questions in the lounge sometimes?

because this is my only car and i have 2 jobs to go to and **** to do so i cant be waiting around with my thumb up my *** waiting for people to answer in the tech forums.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jeffcamaro2007
well assuming that everything is the correct size will it all just adjust itself when i first apply the brakes? The contact doesnt seem major i can still spin the rotor fairly easily its just a little louder and makes more contact than the others. Im thinking the piston in that caliper came out slightly or something like that.
Sounds like its fine, just make sure after you have used the brakes a few times its still not making noise.

Also SOMETIME you have to bleed the brakes after doing pad even if you didnt open the lines. I think maaybe air sometimes gets in through the caliper
Old 06-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

do you know why i post tech questions in the lounge sometimes?

because this is my only car and i have 2 jobs to go to and **** to do so i cant be waiting around with my thumb up my *** waiting for people to answer in the tech forums.
If your life is going to be grinding to a stop because you have car problems, then honestly you need to take it to professionals that know what they're doing. If you think it costs you more to take it somewhere, imagine what it will cost you when you can't get to your job because you screwed it up doing it yourself.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I'm just telling you that if you can't afford for your car to be down due to inexperience, you shouldn't be putting yourself at risk like this.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM

I've been in his position - way before the internet was available to give advise. I know the frustration.

You probably need to be better versed before you dive in. At the risk of repeating prior advise - have a friend (preferrably a smart one) around - my father was always a good source when I got stuck.

When I did my opti a year ago - I spent hours researching and reading here before I touched anything - so I was prepared for anything.

Consider it a learning experience. And buy some GM service manuals - if you plan on doing more - they are well worth the $$.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM

ok i took it for a test drive and i dont hear anymore squeaks but.... the pedal is very soft and spongy and when i come to a stop it makes a squeaking noise. it seems to stop ok but u have to put the pedal down farther. doesnt a spongy pedal mean theres air in the lines? If i need to change the fluid then ill just take it somewhere to have that done. will it be safe to drive for now atleast?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:53 PM

the pedal is very soft and spongy and when i come to a stop it makes a squeaking noise. it seems to stop ok but u have to put the pedal down farther. doesnt a spongy pedal mean theres air in the lines? If i need to change the fluid then ill just take it somewhere to have that done. will it be safe to drive for now atleast?
You didn't undo any lines did you? Check the fluid level and top it off if necessary. The pedal will need to be 'pumped' a few times, but it should be firm after the calipers readjust.

Quick Reply: my new brake pads wont fit!?