Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

my new brake pads wont fit!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jeffcamaro2007
ok i took it for a test drive and i dont hear anymore squeaks but.... the pedal is very soft and spongy and when i come to a stop it makes a squeaking noise. it seems to stop ok but u have to put the pedal down farther. doesnt a spongy pedal mean theres air in the lines? If i need to change the fluid then ill just take it somewhere to have that done. will it be safe to drive for now atleast?
There may be air in the lines. When was the last time the brakes were bled? Might just be time to do it anyway. What is the level of fluid in the brake reservoir? Maybe you are low on fluid?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:01 PM

the fluid level is high and i didnt touch any of the brake lines. i just checked the pedal(with the car off) and it seems alot firmer like it was before any of this.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM

will it be safe to drive for now atleast?
Nobody in their right mind will answer yes to that question since we are not there.

Brakes are a priority - if they feel wrong, or lacking in stopping power - do not wait.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:10 PM

the fluid level is high and i didnt touch any of the brake lines. i just checked the pedal(with the car off) and it seems alot firmer like it was before any of this.
with the car off the pedal will always feel firmer because your brake booster isn't on. it runs off engine vacuum. don't try to diagnose brake pedal problems with the engine off.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

The fluid level will naturally be higher because you have brand new pads that are thicker than the worn out old pads you replaced. They're keeping the pistons pushed farther back which is raising the level in the reservoir.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 PM

the pedal is still spongy when the engine is running but it seems to stop fine but i have to put the pedal down farther than before. I dont think its dangerous to drive but should i have the fluid changed?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 PM

the pedal is still spongy when the engine is running but it seems to stop fine but i have to put the pedal down farther than before. I dont think its dangerous to drive but should i have the fluid changed?

And have them check the rubber lines, to make sure they are still good. They could be giving a little bit, which would make for a spongy pedal feel.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 PM

I just replaced my pads (first timer) and I'm glad I didn't run into any weird problems, although It took considerably longer than it should have since I didn't know my way around yet. Every time I come back to this board I see more and more Chicago Suburb members on here.

I can't wait until I can afford to replace and upgrade my suspension/chassis