Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Name This Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:51 PM

Name This Bushing

It's squeaking and I'd like to replace it. Sorry that I can't post a pic, but there's a straight bar that goes across the car, right in front of the rear end (looking at it from the rear). There's a bolt and rubber bushing on both sides. That's basically it. The passenger side one has play in it and I'd like to replace it. Kinda noisy.

Anyways, I'm a complete suspension dummy so if you can tell me how to replace it, what it's called, or anything at all, let me know!

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:00 PM

Re: Name This Bushing

Panhard rod, bushing at each end called panhard rod bushings.

If the rod is stock, the bushings are black rubber. The stock rod is a "U" shape that is open at the bottom.

If you don't like squeaking I would not put poly bushings in the rod.

If you use new rubber bushings, they must be tightened with the axle at ride height or they will fail due to twisting too far.

The 1LE panhard is a stock bar with harder rubber bushings. If you are planning to do suspension upgrades or wider tires a rod end version might be good idea. Don't buy a rod with one adjuster in the middle, that is the dumbest design out there.

Talk to Sam Strano Jr, at strano parts,he will know what will work best for you.

Z28
Old 10-22-2005, 04:06 PM

Right now I'm just interested in replacing the bushing, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep the car.

So basically, at ride height, unscrew the bolt, drop the rod, replace the bushing, and put everything back together. Did I get that right?

I don't wanna be riding down the road and then my passenger rear tire violently shoots off/out.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:50 PM

Tighten everything at ride height, take it off in any position.

One wheel would not come off, loose the whole axle or nothing.

Expect rust, bolts could be ruined. Not standard bolts, only go in one way, remember how they came out.

The springs squeak also, are you really sure you have found the problem?

I would get some silcone spray, not oil based, and hose down one bushing at a time to see if the squeaking stops.

You have 10 bushings on the rear axle, two on the lower end of the shocks, two on the top of the shocks, 4 on the LCA, 2 on PHB and two springs. Your odds that the panhard bushings are the problem are 1/5.

I would not even start unless I could turn the problem on and off.

Z28

Originally Posted by mark896
Right now I'm just interested in replacing the bushing, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep the car.

So basically, at ride height, unscrew the bolt, drop the rod, replace the bushing, and put everything back together. Did I get that right?

I don't wanna be riding down the road and then my passenger rear tire violently shoots off/out.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:59 PM

Excellent, excellent info. I'm not totally sure so I won't go take anything apart. I'll just hose down everything with the silicone and see what happens.

Thanks a lot for the info man, I really appreciate it.