Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Name that suspension piece!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:56 PM

Name that suspension piece!

Well guys, I bought my car used and it had many suspension components already installed. I cannot identify many of these parts, so I need your help to figure out what these components are (brand and model)...

First up for bid is a torque arm. I am almost positive this is a Spohn torque arm.

Next, are some very large diameter tubular subframe connectors with tabs that look like they would be for mounting some kind of an x-brace. These have very large surfaces where they are welded to the frame and are great for jacking up the car.

We also have an adjustable panhard bar with a greasable poly bushing on one end and spherical rod end on the other.

Finally, we have a pair of sway bars. I eye balled their diameter with a tape measure and the front is in the 30-35mm range and the rear is in the 20-25mm range. The front sway bar is shown in the image below and rear can be seen above.

Thank you all for your help.
Eddie
Old 11-14-2006, 08:18 AM

"30-35mm range and the rear is in the 20-25mm range"

well that narrows it down to just about every aftermarket sway bar available...

use an adjustable wrench...snug it up...then measure with a ruler. or get some calipers.

as for brands...very hard to say...most are built nearly identical to one another.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 AM

I see Bilstein shocks there...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Administrator

I've had every TA model Spohn has ever made, and he never made one that looked like that. The one in the picture look home made.
The red one in the front is his earliest version, the unfinished one in the back is close to his latest version:

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...n/DCP02628.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-14-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:28 PM

I agree that the torque arm didn't look like Spohn at all. I believe all his stuff is round tubular. The frame connectors look Spohn but then again, as posted, a lot of this stuff looks alike. If someone had the skills to make the torque arm they definitely have the skills to make the other components. I do a lot of fab work (mostly for Jeeps) but after looking at how simple these components are it's no wonder people make them on their own. I contemplated making my own suspension parts a little stronger than what is sold just for piece of mind. I broke and bent so many control arms on my Jeep that I went solid steel bars and was done with it. Weight is definitely not an issue for me there. On the Z it is an issue so I'm still contemplating.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 PM

LG Motorsports make sthere torque arm from square tubing

The SFCs I am sure are JDM, which I think also is Hotpart.com or they could be Granatelli which buys theres from Hotpart from what it looks like

Those are my guesses
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 AM

I googled JDM and didn't come up with much other than some Honda page and hotparts.com was in another language. Do you have a link perhaps for the subframe connectors?

I couldn't find any torque arms on the LG motorsports webpage?

However, it looks like a good possibility that the panhard bar is an LG motorsports piece, which might increase the likelihood that the torque arm is as well (people are often brand loyal). That torque arm just looks too well made to be a custom job in my opinion.

I will try to get some more exact diameters for the sway bars, but I agree that it is going to be very difficult to determine which company made them.

I know for sure the shocks are Bilstein HD and the springs are Hypercoil because they are labeled.

Thanks for the info so far and please keep it coming.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Here's the torque arm:

http://www.lmperformance.com/823/2.html

SFC's look like they were originally part of a set that included triangulating braces - note the tabs/bolt holes both front and rear. Possibly they match the LG Motorsports stuff too......

http://www.lmperformance.com/605/2.html

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-15-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Here's the torque arm:

http://www.lmperformance.com/823/2.html

SFC's look like they were originally part of a set that included triangulating braces - note the tabs/bolt holes both front and rear. Possibly they match the LG Motorsports stuff too......

http://www.lmperformance.com/605/2.html
Those are definitely correct and the panhard bar looks like it is LG as well. Makes me think the sway bars are also.

Thanks for the help guys.