Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need Assistance with abs light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 PM

Need Assistance with abs light?

I have a problem with the abs light and looking for advice! The light is on but it seems like my brakes are working fine. Is it possible to reset the light or a way I can check the abs system to see if it is working properly? Also the problem I was having when the car was hesitating suddenly stopped. I took the car on the highway ran it a couple of days and it just started running right. I don't know what that was about but I'm ok with that. I don't know how to do the signature deal but it's a 94z auto. Advice is appreciated!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:42 PM

Re: Need Assistance with abs light?

check ur sensor on the top off ur rearend or on the rearbrakes ur car will brake just fine with light on just u have no more abs or check the spped sensor on the tranny!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 11-17-2005, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hardin1
I have a problem with the abs light and looking for advice! The light is on but it seems like my brakes are working fine. Is it possible to reset the light or a way I can check the abs system to see if it is working properly? Also the problem I was having when the car was hesitating suddenly stopped. I took the car on the highway ran it a couple of days and it just started running right. I don't know what that was about but I'm ok with that. I don't know how to do the signature deal but it's a 94z auto. Advice is appreciated!!!
When the ABS INOP light comes on, the first thing to check is the 3rd brake light in the center. When it blows, the ABS INOP light comes on and the cruise control won't work either.

If your problem where a wheel sensor, the light would be off as long as the car is not moving on start up. It would come on once the vehicle starts to roll.

I have also heard of some folks having a problem from the abs wiring getting too close to a plug wire.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:20 AM

When my Abs light comes on.... I disconect the right front wheel sensor and plug it back in.. it will work for a few more months before it will start to give me a false traction problems.

I had that problem for over 5 years now. In my case is the connector. Yours maybe similar.

Marvin

--out of lazyness I havent looked for a new conector nor sensor. The brakes will work fine even with the light on except you get no anti-lock
Old 11-17-2005, 06:30 AM

My ABS light used to come on once and a while but only if I was rolling a lil when the car was started or I drove off right after starting the car. My light has been off for a long time now, dunno why, but I do not have ABS working I can tell you that much. If I have to stop extremely quick, she skids a bit so it kinda bothers me. But other then that I can hit em hard and she slows down just fine. Just panic stops it likes to rub the tires off.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the info, I'll get on it first thing in the morning and let you guys know the outcome. Thanks!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 06:37 AM

A couple of years ago I had a problem with my ABS light flickering on and off intermittantly. After a lot of troubleshooting (with no results) I accidentally found that I had a loose connection on the ground stud that's on the passenger wheel well by the power steering pump reservoir. I tightened it up, no more ABS light .

Chris
Old 11-18-2005, 10:28 AM

Another common occurance is a wire grounding out. The front sensors have problems with the wires getting rubbed on by the lower control arm and it will ground out over bumps or even you might start it up while getting ground out.