Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need help with adjustable front QA1 shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Need help with adjustable front QA1 shocks.

So I'm having a little problem with my front QA1 shocks. They are the stocker star 12-way adjustable shocks with adjustable jam nut to adjust ride height (stock spring cup has been machined to fit the shock).

The problem is that since they were installed about 3 years ago, they were never adjusted, and now I'm trying to raise the front height by about 1/2" to 1" but the jam nuts seem to be seized on the shock. I've even brought it to a friend who is a mechanic and he tried all he could (used 1/2 can of penetrating oil) and on the passenger side, he managed to get both nuts to move up and down together with the spanner wrench (they are supposed to be able to separate) but driver's side will not budge. According to him the only solution is to remove the shocks from the car to adjust them

Any ideas before we go and take the shocks out?? Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Re: Need help with adjustable front QA1 shocks.

Did you try a generous application of high quality penetrating oil?

Do your seats have the optional bearing plates on them?

Did you jack the car to lift the front wheel off the ground, to minimize the compression load in the spring?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Did you try a generous application of high quality penetrating oil?

Do your seats have the optional bearing plates on them?

Did you jack the car to lift the front wheel off the ground, to minimize the compression load in the spring?

I just got the driver's side done. Probably we just needed to wait a few days for the penetrating oil to take effect. The jam nuts cracked loose pretty easy today. Also I made sure there was no load on the spring maybe my mechanic was trying to do it with the front suspension loaded??
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM

I just finished the job and drove the car around a bit. As well as raising the front end about 1" I also set the adjuster **** down a few clicks towards the "-" so it ias currently set on "2" in other words very soft (more rebound and harder to compress).

First to any who may do this in the future note that I was reading a post on LS1tech from a BMR tech and he noted that to raise your ride height 1" you must adjust the jam nuts on the shock 1/2 that amount to get the height you want. I set it 3/4" higher on the shock and am very happy with the way it sits now. My car would bottom out on speed bumps before (I have a BMR trak pak) and now it doesn't even touch

Also the 2 setting is not so bad... My friend told me it would be really bad on the street ie the front end of the car jumps up when you hit bumps in the road, etc. but it's not true... The front end does lift on hard launches, but besides that it drives comparable to stock imo... I even removed my front sway bar last week...

BTW Thanks for the help injuneer
Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM

One last thing I was wondering... Should I get the alignment checked after raising the front end?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 AM
Administrator

It will change the camber. That said, I jacked mine back up by at least an inch, and never had a problem. But its low mileage after that point in time.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM

It drives pretty smooth from having driven it a few times. Does not really seem to pull to one side or the other... I guess I'll keep an eye on tire wear and see if it needs it. Like you I don't daily drive it either, maybe once a week during the summer and will take it to the track once in a while.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 PM

I have QA1 pro coil overs and you are suppost to put litheum grease on the threads
and lock nots to keep this from happening. if you put the wrench on the top lifting nut and have someone hold it put the spanner wrench on the bottom and lightly top on it with a small hammer it will break loose, trust me I had the same problem. DO NOT!
Turn both nuts to lift the car you will gall the threads.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the tips dman
Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM

Watch it putting grease on the threads, you'll get a lot of dust & dirt in the grease after awhile. I use a spray dry lube on my threaded lower spring seats. IMO, take you car in and have the "toe" checked to see if it needs to be adjusted, it doesn't take much to throw it off and ruin a tire or two in no time; guess how I know?