Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need help with brakes for tire and wheel size.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 AM

Need help with brakes for tire and wheel size.

So as i've said in my other recent posts, i am suping my car up. So i am gong to need some good brakes. But I have a few questions. I am new to the brake and tire thing as far as upgrades for what i am planning to do. I mean its going to be a street car that goes to inspection every 2 years. So i want it street friendly and legal. Currently, I have 18X8.5 in chrome wheels all the way around and BF G force Drag Radials in the rear and kdws in the front. Now when i fix my car up with lots of hp to be driving in the street, at which point do i need to slicks or drag radials or what ever tire i need to use? Also, With my current setup, i am assuming i should invest in 15 in light weight wheels for better performance right? I mean, having 600+ hp while driving on the street, i am guessing its not safe to use the drag radials and kdws that i currently have for that right?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:03 AM

Re: Need help with brakes for tire and wheel size.

your post is a bit confusing...

drag radials on a high hp car are fine, but running an 18" rim will give you a very small sidewall which will decrease your traction at launch. although it will probbaby make the car corner nice.

i would say that you'd probably want to get a wider tire, not sure what you're running now. but a 275 would be a good choice. and maybe look into a little better tire than the KDWS, something like the KDW has more grip but is not snow rated (if that matters).

with 600hp you'll prbably want slicks if you want to get really good traction at the strip. but make sure you have the driveline to back it up. good power with the crappy stock 10bolt rear and sticky tires will become a pile of parts very quickly at the track.

as for brakes, get some decent rotors, Hawk pads and you'll be fine. no need to go crazy with bigger brakes, cross drilled rotors...etc...
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that i was thinking of buying a smaller sized wheel and tire. Would that help me at all for traction on the street vs an 18 in wheel and tire? By the way, no one ever drives with slicks on the street right? I am guessing not, but just making sure. MY current tire size is 275/35 18 in the rear and 245/40 18 in the front. I don't know what if any judgements you can make of that. They are chrome wheels as well. I don't know if the metal plays a part in the weight game. However, i must admit, when i took the stock alum 16 in wheels off and put the chrome 18 in ones on, i really did'nt feel much of a difference in weight when i lifted both types together. They really felt about equal weight in the hand. But i guess you never know til you weigh it.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Administrator

"Chrome" is an extremely thin coating, usually on an aluminum alloy wheel.... it will not affect weight enough to measure. "Paint" probably weighs as much.

As was mentioned above, worrying about what kind of tires will hook with 600+HP on the street is irrelevant - the answer is nothing that is street legal. I run 315/35-17 BFG Drag Radials in the back, and they won't stand up to 500HP with a TH400/high stall converter and 4.10's..... 3/4 throttle is about all they's take. Spraying the 135-shot first stage is marginally possible in 2nd gear at a high speed roll, and using the full 300-shot is out of the question. Even running full slicks on the street, they won't hook unless you really heat them up.