Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need help with Eibach Anti-roll (Sway) Bar install !

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 12:32 AM

Question Need help with Eibach Anti-roll (Sway) Bar install !

I bought an Eibach Anti-roll bar set (sway bars) for my car. But I'm having some major trouble with the rear bar. It just doesn't look like it wants to fit. I checked the model numbers (3831.320) and they do match the parts for my car, so I know that isn't the problem.

When I mount it up the way I thought it went (with the middle U part of the bar pointing down) the ends come up at a nasty angle to where it bolts to the car. The bolts simply arn't long enough to mount the bar at this funny angle. I also noticed the logo is upside down this way as viewed from the rear. Hmmmm.....

But If I turn it the other way with the middle U pointing up then that just can't be right! The bar hits the middle of the differential housing and the ends don't have enough room to put the little plastic joints and bolt spacer. It has to be upside down in this configuration. Howeer, the ends are flat underneath where it bolts to the car. Hmmm....

Anyone got any pictures of an Eibach or other performance bar installed? Here are a couple of pics of my install:

Must mount this way.
Weird angle.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:20 AM

Re: Need help with Eibach Anti-roll (Sway) Bar install !

I notice you have your car up on jacks. When I did my front, I had to have the suspension loaded, so I put it up on ramps. Most likely that is your problem.

EDIT: Yah, I'm almost positive that's it. Putting the load on the suspension will drop everything into place. Find some thing sturdy that you can lower the car on so that you still have room to work on it, like a large piece of wood/bricks.

Last edited by blackrat; 11-22-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM

blackrat:
That does help a little. I just lowered the car onto some 2x4's. It is still at an angle but not near as bad. But my bolts still seem too short. The original bolts for the original anti-roll bar is about 1.5" longer. The ones that come with Eibach just arn't long enough to get them started. There is no reason for them to be shorter because there is plenty of room up there. I assume Eibach was just being cheap and decided to save 10 cents on the bolt length. I may have to buy a slightly longer bolt. But I'll try to wrangle this one on, even though it is unnecessarily short.

Edit: I did get it on. They do fit. But they really should have made the bolts longer just to make mounting easy. I don't think I could have done it without loading the suspension like you said.

Last edited by samualt; 11-22-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Glad you got it on. It can be trickier then most people think. I must have spent about 45 minutes trying to wrestle my front sway into place. I had to have the main clamps loose, then, while laying on my back, bring my knee up to push the bar into position, back and forth.