Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need help with shocks please

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Need help with shocks please

Can someone tell me if these are the Blistens I need? I searched and found slp Blistens, revalves, and HDs and Im getting confussed on what to get. I have an SS with the original Blistens still on it but the ride is gone and I think they are blown. I need a good daily driver.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM

Get the SLP bilsteins, not the HDs.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:07 PM

It's a little more complicated than that I'm afraid.

The OE shocks on your car are SLP Bilstein's. They were tweaked fronts vs. HD's, but the rears were the standard HD's at the time.

Since then the HD fronts have become much more like the SLP's (a bit of added rebound damping). But the rear HD's have also changed and for the worse. That's the number you brought up from Summit. And it remains to confirmed if SLP is still using the HD rear valving. But it would seem so since the old number they used is no more. That "new" HD rear valving is a mess... it's got too much compression damping and too little rebound damping. In fact it's much more like stock DeCarbon rears than the older Bilstein's every were.

To get around this issue, I simply use an older valving that is still made and works very well. In fact it's the rear shock I'd use when I used to Revalve fronts.

So I'd recommend HD's, but not the way you see them everywhere else. I do a kit that uses the rear shocks we've been using for a long time with the new HD fronts (which again are basically SLP fronts).

I'm also an SLP dealer, so I don't say this because I don't like SLP products in general. I simply believe it's the best, known, alternative and it doesn't add a cost premium to do it.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

The OE shocks on your car are SLP Bilstein's. They were tweaked fronts vs. HD's, but the rears were the standard HD's at the time.

Since then the HD fronts have become much more like the SLP's (a bit of added rebound damping). But the rear HD's have also changed and for the worse. That's the number you brought up from Summit. And it remains to confirmed if SLP is still using the HD rear valving. But it would seem so since the old number they used is no more. That "new" HD rear valving is a mess... it's got too much compression damping and too little rebound damping. In fact it's much more like stock DeCarbon rears than the older Bilstein's every were.

To get around this issue, I simply use an older valving that is still made and works very well. In fact it's the rear shock I'd use when I used to Revalve fronts.

So I'd recommend HD's, but not the way you see them everywhere else. I do a kit that uses the rear shocks we've been using for a long time with the new HD fronts (which again are basically SLP fronts).

I'm also an SLP dealer, so I don't say this because I don't like SLP products in general. I simply believe it's the best, known, alternative and it doesn't add a cost premium to do it.
Hey, I believe you. Hell, I'd rip all that gay inferior GM crap off of there and replace it with the parts that you sell, but I can't figure out how to jack it up!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

Do you offer just the rear Blistens seperate or do you have to buy the kit of 4? I think the rears are blown out on my car and really dont have the money for all 4.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM

I offer them separately. They are $85 each.