Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

need IMMEDIATE brakes help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 08:29 PM

Exclamation need IMMEDIATE brakes help

Here are the steps I took to replace the rear (disc) pads/rotors today.

1. Jacked car up, removed wheels.
2. Unbolted the caliper bracket bolts (reinstalled at 75 ftlbs)
3. Removed entire caliper assembly, removed rotor. Inspected rotor and pads for wear. Decided not to replace anything, though I thought I was hearing the wear indicators before.
4. Slid the caliper bracket off of the 2 caliper pins.
5. Removed rubber sleeves from pins, cleaned and greased the pins.
6. Took off cap from brake fluid reservoir under the hood, and compressed the caliper pistons with c-clamp.
7. Reinstalled everything.
8. started the car, pumped the brakes 6-8 times to regain pedal feel.
9. Discovered that the parking brake would not budge!!!

The parking brake does not want to go up, if I pull real hard, it'll click barely ONCE. It does seem to anchor the car, however. I did not adjust the ebrake at all.

Also, when the car is off or running, the rear pads retain contact with the rotor when the e-brake is OFF and there are no brakes applied. Normal? The rotors can still turn, with some muscle, when the car is off and in neutral.

Test drive felt normal, I didn't notice or couldn't tell if the rear brakes were dragging at all. Fronts (I didn't touch today) work fine.

Did I do something wrong? Was I not supposed to pull the bracket off of the slider pins? Compressed the piston wrong? I've never run into this issue previous when changing pads.

ANY HELP AND ADVICE would be MUCH appreciated. This is my daily driver. (thanks for reading this far)
Old 03-13-2005, 07:04 PM

Re: need IMMEDIATE brakes help

My Chiltons manual says that you must remove some brake fluid before compressing the piston, or some may spill out of the reservoir when you compress it. It is possible some spilled out and now you are low on fluid. I would visually check the brake fluid level if you haven't already.