Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need new calipers what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:50 PM

Need new calipers what to get?

I'm probably going to be getting new drilled/slotted roters however my caliper decided the bolts were too rusted to hold on anymore and they snapped off causin the caliper to rotate around the inside of the wheel at 70mph on the expressway, so i need new caliper and figured i should get something better then stock. Any ideas of good companies/brands to upgrade to? (talking rear now then front later)
Old 02-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Re: Need new calipers what to get?

The rears probably don't need to be done. But there are good kits out there: Brembo, Baer, and Chevy ZO6 are very popular. With the ZO6 convertion being the cheapest.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:46 PM

Always helpful to know what year car you have
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM

1996 Z28 6sp my bad *edits sig* lol

why wouldnt the rears need to be done? they are the most used ones O.o plus like i said the one is toast now so i need a new one might as well get better thx for the imput z28sorr also with the z06 are those 13" roters? (what size r ours?) and i take it z06 years up to 04?

basically just lookin for what i'd all need keep the posts comin
thx guys

Last edited by Kevin_315; 02-22-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin_315
I'm probably going to be getting new drilled/slotted roters however my caliper decided the bolts were too rusted to hold on anymore and they snapped off causin the caliper to rotate around the inside of the wheel at 70mph on the expressway, so i need new caliper and figured i should get something better then stock. Any ideas of good companies/brands to upgrade to? (talking rear now then front later)
I had one of my calipers come off inside the wheel well about 30sec after i got off the freeway. What happened on yours at 70? did you loose control or anything? What happened.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:37 PM

O god no i didnt i heard snap from the line and then the car's @ss wanted to hop around so i had the wheel gripped like hell in my left and downshifted with my other hand. took a lot to maintain control of that beast at 70 with the back end wanting to hop around, trust me gave me one hellva bad adrenilene rush >_<
Old 02-22-2006, 03:52 PM

oh ok, sounds like your failure was more controllable than mine would have been. I thought it was front....sorry my bad. Mine was the front right wheel. I think i would have lost control probably. I was VERY lucky.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:48 PM

Yea im guessin you would have in the front since thats where the steering is :P good that it didnt happen on the expressway lol, mine was the rear driver side
Old 02-22-2006, 04:59 PM

The front brakes on your car do the majority of the braking work... and the harder you brake, the more percentage of the work they do (weight transfer). Even though your rear tires may be bigger... trust us... they're not doing the braking work.

If all your after is performance you likely don't need anything more in the back than you already have. However if you'd like something visually more impressive back there then you can find rear kits online... but they're pretty expesive given that you're not really helping your actually braking out much if at all.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 PM

never said i didnt trust you, i thought it was the front myself but then was later told its the rear that does the most work since its rwd O.o ok so if i wanted to upgrade all the way around whats a good roter (drilled slotted ive heard r good n bad but see everyone with but whats a good brand? and what size would i need for the z06 calipers?) also would there be any real customization to make the z06 ones work?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:16 PM

Drilled and slotted rotors improve the look of your brakes but I've never seen credible evidence that they have any effect on braking (on a modern street car)... contrary to popular belief. Get em if you like how they look.

I just ordered the C5 upgrade for my 96, price is great (less than 800 bucks) and the brakes are very good quality for the money. If you went to an aftermarket shop (Baer, Brembo...) you'd pay hundreds more for comparable quality. I've also heard that the LS1 brake upgrade is a good choice if you're cash strapped... pretty much ANYTHING is better than the crap they put on our cars origonally.

Note that most kits you'll see are front brakes only... so if you want your rear brakes upgraded you'll have to buy a seperate kit.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:40 PM

i have searched for the Z06 upgrade before and came up with no luck. who offers that upgrade that i could purchase it from?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 PM

70% of all your stopping power comes from the front brakes. 30 from the rear. Its does not matter if the car is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive when you hit the brakes. Think about it, The 2 rear wheels are not Driving anything when your slowing down all 4 are braking.

Go look at your front calipers and look at the rears. That is why the fronts are over double the size of the rears.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dave K
Drilled and slotted rotors improve the look of your brakes but I've never seen credible evidence that they have any effect on braking (on a modern street car)... contrary to popular belief. Get em if you like how they look.

Exactly. They're nothing but driveway jewelry and actually have an adverse effect on braking performance due to less mass and less surface for the pads to work on and are prone to cracking.
Don't believe what is advertised. People run them because thats the current fast and furious trend.

Good brand = Brembo. Some parts stores have good blanks.
If you do the C5 conversion, I've read good things about the GM performance rotors.

Check GPs for deals.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 02-22-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 AM

I ordered my C5 kit from umiperformance.com... you can probably save money if you buy the bracket from umi or another maker and then dig around and find the brakes on ebay or something like that... but I'm lazy, I like cutting one check and being done with it.

Quick Reply: Need new calipers what to get?