Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need new pads and rotors: What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 01:26 AM

Need new pads and rotors: What to do?

I need new pads and rotors and I was thinking about doing the rears with OEM rotors and some Hawk or Napa Ceramic Pads and doing the fronts with LS1 conversion. I drive pretty rough as far as breaking and accelerating, so I figure that this would be a positive mod. I dont care what they look like, function is what I am interested in. What do I need to know about buying them and how long should the rotors last on the LS1 version. I dont want to have to re-invest in new rotors in a year or two. But I understand I'll probably need new pads on the LS1 set.

I need the LS1 spindles, calipers, rotors. Bearings or bolts too? I see some kits on ebay, but am weary. Any reputable sellers?

Whats the lowest measurement on LS1 rotors and how long do they usually last?

If I dont do this what are some good rotors and pads to get stock with prices?

Thanks

-Dustin-

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-06-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 AM

Re: Need new pads and rotors: What to do?

Don't get OE rotors.....spend the 100bucks a peice on Powerstop rotors....you won't regret it later....when you look at them and they aren't all rusty. Third year on these rotors and are as smooth as glass no groves.....I am also using the GM ceramic pad, which ceramic pads, don't chew up rotors as bad. Are those Hawk pads ceramic?? I am not sure they are....if not, they will use up the rotor faster.

If no get a non-ceramic pad or real agressive like the Hawks then don't get the Powerstop rotors....cause you'll have to change them....and it's better to be changing the $20 rotors rather than $100 rotors. This is just speculation though.....i have never run the Hawks on powerslots, maybe the powerslots really hold up to them.

It's all about what you want to change? You want to change more frequently....you want to change rotors or brake pads more?? Unless you get the perfect combo like the Ceramics with powerstops.

I also have some "Green Stuff" brakes in my garage....front and rear. Those are going on next. Don' know why i ordered them....i swore i needed brakes when i reached through the wheel. Guess the moral of the story take the wheel off and actually get a good look.

By the way those rear brakes should have more pad on them for the price you pay I know the rear doesn't do much stoping, but still
Old 01-07-2005, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the detailed input, I probably wont do slotted or drilled rotors, since there is a decrease in stopping power over the solid ones. I'm not sure what type Autozone pads I had on the rear but they chewed my rotors to peices. I hate Autozone and only bought them cause I was in a jam when my rear brakes locked. I am basically entertaining two options.

A: Getting Good Napa Rotors all around with Napa Ceramic Pads or Hawks. Costing around $275

B: Getting the LS1 front kit and adding Hawk or Napa Ceramic pads all around and Good Napa rotors in the rear. Costing around $375

The costs for these will be about $100 more for the LS1 kit, but it depends on what I can find for sale here soon. Although the $100 might save me a costly accident when I can stop faster...hmmm...

Thanks

-Dustin-
Old 01-07-2005, 10:31 AM

where can you get the LS1 front kit anyway? i've been looking all over .... $375 for the LS1 front kit with rear brakes too is a good deal....
Old 01-07-2005, 01:03 PM

Buy the Brembo "OEM" rotors. I know Tire Rack sells them. That's where I purchased mine. If you like no dust, no noise, stick with the GM pads. You want a little added grip and can tolerate a little added dust, try the Hawk HPS.

For $5, paint the centers with high temp paint and they won't rust either.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:53 AM

LS1 kits search ebay, there are alot of salvage vendors selling them like transam creations.

I know there are like 3 different types of hawks, which are the best? I know one type dusts like nuts, but that doesnt bother me much. Function is my big thing. How much are the brembo's? Do you have a link? I think I am sticking with the LS1 in the front, but for the rears I might look into something else.

I see alot of warnings how Ceramic pads are OEM and such but alot of people use other types, any info on this? Experiences?

How about Hawks vs EBC Green vs Napa Ceramic?

-Dustin-
Old 01-08-2005, 07:03 AM

the harder your pad, the more rotor you're wearing away. the ceramic pads are considered hard pads. all hard pads will chew away the rotor faster than the regular pads. the high carbon pads will have the same effect. a "rotor friendly" pad will dust like crazy but it will save your rotors. get the good pads and cheap rotors or vise versa. if you get the top of both worlds you're gonna be spending big money every year for new stuff. personally, i'd rather have the good pads cuz rotors are cheaper.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:26 PM

So, lets say I get LS1 fronts and stay stock in the rear. How long would the diffferent configurations last? For instance, lets say I slap on crap rotors and good pads, would the rotors out last the pads if I did good rotors and crap pads? As in which combo would wear out and need replaced first?

Also what is considered good pads/rotors vs bad pads/rotors? As in what combos should be utilized?

Of course the posts here are conflicting, one says ceramic doesnt chew up rotors, others yes it does...confirmation?

Thanks everyone.

-Dustin-

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-08-2005 at 01:32 PM.