Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need PICS of Mounted Harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:21 AM

Need PICS of Mounted Harnesses

I have new harnesses and i am putting my 6 point roll bar in. The guy i bought them from said they were roll bar mount harnesses. Were do i mount them and how?? There is no instructions. Do i just drill a hole and use a bolt on the cross bar??
Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Re: Need PICS of Mounted Harnesses

I'll move this to "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes", since it doesn't belong in LT1/LT4 Engine Tech.

Your crossbar should have a tab or tabs welded to it, to bolt the belts to. Do not drill a hole in any part of your roll bar. Alternatively, you can wrap the ends of the shoulder straps around the crossbar.

I had a tab mounted to the back of the crossbar, with a bolt, but switched to the "wrap-around" attachment. It helps if you have holes through the seat to keep the shoulder straps on your shoulders, otherwise you may need a sternum strap.

(Just to cut off any comments, the black nylon ties are holding the excess strap, not used to fasten the straps.... there's a manufacturers standard steel clip holding the straps that doesn't show up well in the picture).

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-31-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 PM

so i should just make a tab and weld it to the cross bar??
Old 03-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

That would work. You can still see the unused tab and the bolt on the crossbar, next to the belt.

If you are using the stock seat belt bolts for the lap belt mounting, some brands of hardware will not fit over the "shoulder" on the stock bolts. You can grind the shoulder down just a bit, and it will allow the harness lap belt tabe and the stock belts to mount on the bolts (if you are keeping the stock belts for street driving).

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-31-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:09 AM

i figured i wil use my harnesses for street driving too i dont want all those seat belts. How would i just wrap it around the bar???
Old 04-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

In this picture, the end of the shoulder strap is threaded through a metal clip, then through the piece with a bolt hole that bolts to the crossbar, then back through the first clip and "double threaded" to hold firm. You undo the end of the shoulder strap assembly, remove the piece with the bolt hole, instead wrap the harness around the crossbar, then bring it back to the clip and double thread it to lock it tight. There are instructions with the Simpson belts, for example, that clearly show how to thread the belt through the clip so it can not slip.

Most "racing" harnesses are not DOT approved, so they are technically not legal for street use. They will exceed the DOT requirements, but the manufacturers have no need to get that approval, since they are not intended for street use. When my car was street driven, I had the stock harness in there as well.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:38 PM

Great thank you so much for helping me out i have a pair of RJS Harnesses. I didnt know that the harnesses were not street legal well i will give it a try and see what happens if they hassel me about not haveing the stock seat belts in then i will put them back in. Thanks Again

These are mine i have a latch type and a cam type

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

One, more question what is the best way to attach the crotch strap should i buy the wolfe peice??
Old 04-02-2006, 09:55 PM

I had wrapped mine around the bar like Fred did, for the crotch strap when I made my seat bracket I made the front bar out of tubing so I could mount the strap to it. its made something like the wolfe one but my hole seat is welded fast to it.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

I posted a response on your thread on "General......."

NHRA General Requirements, 10:5 Driver Restraint Systems requires that on aftermarket seats, "the crotch strap to go through seat and anchor behind chest line." They will probably not check it, but they might.