Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

need some help gurus!!!!! rear end swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Unhappy need some help !!!!! 4 channel rear end swap to 3 channel car

ok here goes i am new here and have been on here looking for a answer all day i have a 99 camaro convertible v6 abs only car (3 channel) just got a 4 channel rear end out of a 98 z28 what can i due to make it work in mine ill do the abs delete later on and get a tune when finished planning on dropping in a v8 first of the year but need it running again now can i swap out my axles and backing plates in to the other 4 channel rear end and drive it for now till i solve my abs issue later and just reuse my break lines from the 3 channel housing or am i just **** out of luck on the 200 i paid for it since it is a 4 channel i have been reading on this all day and have yet to find a thread stating they finished there car and was back up and running i did read that the 4 channel axles are a tad bit longer than 3 channel i think(unless it was regarding different year rear ends)
unless i am better off using the 4 channel axles(thats if my backing plates will still work as i dont have any on the 4 channel housing.....thats where i need ya'll what can i doo to get this car up and rolling again thanks so much for your time and i look forward to hearing from you and your advice

Last edited by tattoojunkie; 08-10-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: didnt get any advice from anybody hoping by changing the title i will
Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Re: need some help gurus!!!!! rear end swap

anybody who has done this kind of swap plz pm me so i can get this 1 up and rolling again
Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 AM

OK haven't herd from anybody so guess i am going to go it on my own so here is what i am doing ( god i hope it works ) pulled the axles in my posi 4 channel rear end so i could put my 3 channel backing plates on since they don't have a whole in them i am going to drill a 7/8 hole in passenger side for the abs sensor i read in here 1 other person did this ( not drilling the backing plate but running the abs to 1 side so it gets a read of the teeth but he did have the 4 channel backing plates) from what i can tell the backing plates look as tho they are marked for the traction control guess to keep from machining 2 different pieces which does make sense so after i drill it i will make the sensor wires long enough to reach the passenger side tire and with alot of luck and a whole lot of praying lol hopefully my abs system will continue to work and if not it was worth a shot and then ill just pull the sencor jb weld up the whole (to keep rocks from finding there way in threw the hole i put in the back of the backing plate) and look into having a gear made to go on my drive shaft and fabricate a L bracket to mount the sencor so it can read that way i did see this done on a muncie 12 bolt so the guy could keep his abs working on a 3 channel car like mine i will be sure to let ya'll know if this works keep your fingers crossed for me and if it doesnt guess ill just do a abs delete on my car if you have any input on this matter hit me up i would love to hear any thoughts on the idea
Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 PM

That's a lot of trouble for nothing. ABS is crappy in our cars anyway and is more likely to cause you harm than good when it errantly activates on dry pavement as you pull up to a stop sign. If you're going to get rid of it later, just get rid of it now. The only thing is that you need a proportioning valve and a means to fab a couple short brake lines. I'm not sure what, if anything hooks up differently in back.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator

You don't need to delete the 4 channel reluctors on the axles, or the sensor/backing plates. They can stay there.

The problem is the 3-channel system has a reluctor wheel on the ring gear mount on the carrier, and there is a sensor on top of the housing. The 4-channel system does not have the reluctor on the carrier or the sensor on the housing. So swapping backing plates and axles accomplishes nothing.

As I mentioned in the PM, I THINK that I read a post on here from someone who solved the problem electronically. If you want to experiment, just hook the wire for your rear sensor up to one of the sensors on the 4-channel backing plates, and see if the ABS works.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 PM

The 3 channel reluctor ring mounted on the carrier has 106 'teeth',the 4 channel reluctor rings mounted on the axles have 47 'teeth'. Wiring the 3 channel sensor to one of the 4 channel backing plate sensors will not provide/actuate ABS,the dash ABS light will be energized and ABS will not be functioning.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
The 3 channel reluctor ring mounted on the carrier has 106 'teeth',the 4 channel reluctor rings mounted on the axles have 47 'teeth'. Wiring the 3 channel sensor to one of the 4 channel backing plate sensors will not provide/actuate ABS,the dash ABS light will be energized and ABS will not be functioning.
The ABS sensor is not like a crank sensor- it just measures the speed of the teeth and compares them to the other sensors and speedo- The ABS sensor does not know where it is. As long as the teeth are the same distance apart I don't see how having only 47 is going to be any different.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
The ABS sensor is not like a crank sensor- it just measures the speed of the teeth and compares them to the other sensors and speedo- The ABS sensor does not know where it is. As long as the teeth are the same distance apart I don't see how having only 47 is going to be any different.
thats kinda how i was looking at it and figured it was worth a shot before paying out 160 dollars for that abs delete kit
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM

got it drilled and stopped by napa and got some atv sealent and lucas gear oil ill be able to tell you in a couple days if it worked had to order some stabilizer bushing since i broke 1 takin out the rear end what i did was use my 3 channel backing plates and drilled a whole in the passenger side 1 and put them on the 4 channel rear same with my break lines so only thing i had to buy was gear oil and paid a guy 10 bucks in a machine shop to drill my hole figure ill just permatex it in biggest reason i am doing this is i dont want a light flashing on my dash and since nobody replied on there posts as to if it worked or not i was super curious so had to try it
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You don't need to delete the 4 channel reluctors on the axles, or the sensor/backing plates. They can stay there.

The problem is the 3-channel system has a reluctor wheel on the ring gear mount on the carrier, and there is a sensor on top of the housing. The 4-channel system does not have the reluctor on the carrier or the sensor on the housing. So swapping backing plates and axles accomplishes nothing.

As I mentioned in the PM, I THINK that I read a post on here from someone who solved the problem electronically. If you want to experiment, just hook the wire for your rear sensor up to one of the sensors on the 4-channel backing plates, and see if the ABS works.
i would have but the rear end didnt have them on it and had to use mine of the 3 channel or else that would of been my first choice as well
Old 08-12-2011, 02:17 AM

If all else fails just pull the bulb on the backside of the dash...that will make the ABS light go out. But keep that in mind when driving in the rain that wheel lock-up isn't out of the question anymore.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 AM

ok heres where i am at got the rear back in the car abs light isnt on yeh !! but nowi am noticing a loud noise from the rear end (i havent put my calipers on it yet) i started to see if it was working properly both tires move forward and reverse and it is pretty quiet while ideling in drive but when i push the gas it sounds like my bearings are bad i have only tacked it up to 2500 for a second or two also i can grab the hub and turn it not eaisly but i can turn it while its in park (should it be doing this since i havent put my rotors back on or callipers ????) and just how much gear oil do these 10 bolts hold i put in 2 jugs of lucas and 1 thing of stabilizer so about 2 n 1/2 quarts so far (is it close to being full or do i need to buy 1 or 2 more jugs of lucas ) i did call the guy i got the rear from and he assured me that nothing was wrong with it when he took it out he just wanted a 12 bolt since he planned on dragging his car and this 1 only had 70,000 or so miles on it most of which are highway and that it didnt whine or roar or slip 1 lil bit so now i am confused :s
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Administrator

You fill it to the bottom of the fill plug hole. Should take a bit less than 2 quarts.

Did you use the correct SAE 80W-90 GL-5 gear lube, plus 4 oz. of the correct GM limited slip additive?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 AM

i put lucas in it and a thing of additive went to napa and told them what it was four thats what they gave me so it should be full then whats your take on the slipping is it because i havent put the rotors and breaks back on yet do they help hold the axles out at all i did notice this rear doesnt have springs in it to keep them pushed out so basically it is just being held in place by the c clips and that spacer block in the housing
Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 AM

heres what i used lucas synthetic 75 w 90 (2 quarts) and 1 thing of trans x posi trac additive that does have the gm code on it

Quick Reply: need some help gurus!!!!! rear end swap