Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

need some help gurus!!!!! rear end swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Re: need some help gurus!!!!! rear end swap

Originally Posted by tattoojunkie
i put lucas in it and a thing of additive went to napa and told them what it was four thats what they gave me so it should be full then whats your take on the slipping is it because i havent put the rotors and breaks back on yet do they help hold the axles out at all i did notice this rear doesnt have springs in it to keep them pushed out so basically it is just being held in place by the c clips and that spacer block in the housing
What do you mean by "slipping"? Do you mean why can you turn one axle and not have the other one turn? That would be because the limited slip requires a torque load to activate. That's the purpose of a "limited" slip..... it allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds under "normal" driving. They have to do that so the car can turn a corner without the rear wheels chattering. It only locks up the rear wheels so they both turn together when it is under a high torque load and one wheel starts to slip.

Has nothing to do with whether the rotors and brakes are in place. Personally, I've never seen a rear axle assembly with "springs" in it to push the rear axles out. The clutch type differential has springs in it, but those don't push the axles out, they control application of the differential/limited slip clutches.

Yes, the only thing that keeps the axle from coming out of the housing is the C-clips. That's why NHRA requires you to install C-clip eliminators on high powered cars.... and I've seen an axle slide out of the housing at the track.

This is an Eaton clutch-type posi:

Old 08-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What do you mean by "slipping"? Do you mean why can you turn one axle and not have the other one turn? That would be because the limited slip requires a torque load to activate. That's the purpose of a "limited" slip..... it allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds under "normal" driving. They have to do that so the car can turn a corner without the rear wheels chattering. It only locks up the rear wheels so they both turn together when it is under a high torque load and one wheel starts to slip.

Has nothing to do with whether the rotors and brakes are in place. Personally, I've never seen a rear axle assembly with "springs" in it to push the rear axles out. The clutch type differential has springs in it, but those don't push the axles out, they control application of the differential/limited slip clutches.

Yes, the only thing that keeps the axle from coming out of the housing is the C-clips. That's why NHRA requires you to install C-clip eliminators on high powered cars.... and I've seen an axle slide out of the housing at the track.

This is an Eaton clutch-type posi:

thats the type i was refering too and as far as slipping i can have it in park and grab eitjer axle and turn it feels like it is breaking loose but it is turning the other axle too i can turn it clockwise or counter clockwise but it does take a bit of force but not a whole lot i can do it by hand is this normal(never ran across this before)
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM

also this is not the stock rear for my car its a 4 channel out of a 98 z28 with 3.42's
Old 08-14-2011, 02:28 PM

ok found out what the roaring sound was and it isnt my rear think its just vibrations from having the car in the air that i am hearing next question is the slipping i was taking about is it the limited slip working in the posi rear end that had me worried or something else is it possable to turn the axle and it break free by hand while it is in park
Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Administrator

When you turn one wheel with any type of differential, the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction. The pinion can be locked, but the spider gears can still rotate, as long as the axles move in opposite directions.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When you turn one wheel with any type of differential, the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction. The pinion can be locked, but the spider gears can still rotate, as long as the axles move in opposite directions.
no your missing what i am saying this is a posi rear end in my car it came out of a 98 z28 i just put it in it is still on jackstands (back half is ) i can move my axle while it is in park(on the stands) i am starting to think the rear is fine and i have a problem with my tranny instead
Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM

ok to finish up this thread rear is in and works great NOW AS FOR THE ABS IT WAS A NO GO BUT WAS WORTH A SHOT IT GOES OUT WHEN I START THE CAR BUT COMES BACK ON AFTER DRIVING A LIL BIT. ALONG WITH THE LOW TRACTION LIGHT. SO THERE ISNT A WAY TO PUT A 4 CHANNEL IN A 3 CHANNEL AND KEEP IT WORKING AT LEAST NOT A 99 3 CHANNEL.............but i do love the new rear in the car beside for the abs problem a definet +1 mod if ya dont mind givin up your abs